• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. L

Doctors

Thank you I am sure that is the dr I am thinking of his surgery was on a corner, thank you so much.
  2. L

Doctors

Does anyone remember Dr. Alexandra, who practiced on the Coventry Road, Small Heath around 1956, anyone know his christian name?
  3. L

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Hi,where can I see the photos of Silver Blades B ham
  4. L

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

I am sorry that you had such a wretched time, were you at Skilts or Cropwood, I was at Cropwood around 1960/61 hated it at first, but then grew to actually like it, I got the book A Breath of Fresh Air, very interesting read, it seems that everyone had different views and memories of their time...
  5. L

Windows 10

If you guys r on top of it, well done, my hubby can't stand it, each to their own I expect.
  6. L

Windows 10

yeah, everyone I know has had trouble with it in one way or another didn't mean to alarm you
  7. L

Windows 10

don,t do it!!
  8. L

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

Oh I am so sorry to hear how awful it was for you, do you remember what year you were there, I think I was there in 1960, and we had proper claw feet baths then, but only allowed to put in enough water to cover our legs half way and it was always cold, no heating, but the water was tepid. I...
  9. L

Hi I was at Cropwood around 1960, I written a thread about it, yes Hunters hill was opposite Cropwood, I ran away too, so totally understand how those boys felt, I shed tears too, do you remember what year you were there? Lorraine
  10. L

I forgot, I can't remember where we ate, totally blank, but when I went back at 16yrs old, they had built a large cafeteria type dining room, that linked the main house to extension, so you did not have to wlk across outside>
  11. L

Hi Rita, Yes I vaguely remember a den and the big tree I mentioned, and the church on Sunday, I went to the CofE one, it was all very serious. I can imagine how you felt when they cut your hair off. Do you remember the swimming pool? I am going to get the book you mentioned it is on Amazon, I...
  12. L

OK Chris, I hope to talk to others that shared this experience with me, its so long ago now, I will start it like a book and just tell my story if it gets too long I suppose it can be deleted. I was born in 1952, all though my early school years I suffered from Bronchitis, so lost a lot of time...
  13. L

Hi, I was at Cropwood around 1960, hated it at first then got used to it, afterwards I missed it, how crazy is that??
  14. L

Rita, I remember Miss Urquart, if you'de like to talk more let me know via this thread. I think it was 1960 when I was there, I don't recall too many of the girls, but I do remember the lobby with the rows of sinks where we washed, don't know if Exension was there when you were, I slept over there.
  15. L

Yes I was at Cropwood for 1 year aged about 8 I think, so that would have been round 1960 Miss Urquart was the Head Mistress and Miss Addis was a nurse there I think, I am not clear of her role. I slept in Extension, I hated it at first and ran away on the same day as another girl called Ann...
Back