• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. dek carr

Definition of “Brummie”, “Astonian” etc

I seem to remember buying dried peas from the Corn Shop by the lb they would then be soaked in water for ages and then boiled up,
  2. dek carr

Stately House Identification

It looks a lot like Ragley Hall Alcester also Hagley Hall is similar.
  3. dek carr

Hardy Spicers Ltd

The Norton was on the corner of Kingsbury Rd and Tyburn Rd now replaced by a Lydl Store.
  4. dek carr

Hardy Spicers Ltd

The Tyburn House and the Bagot Arms.
  5. dek carr

Ironmongers

Whites in Summer Lane well worth a visit not changed since I first went in there in the 50s.
  6. dek carr

Where is This #209?

Could be the junction Aldridge Rd & College Rd.
  7. dek carr

Where is This #207?

The White Horse.
  8. dek carr

Across Birmingham on the 29A

Changed the number about 12 months ago.
  9. dek carr

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Phil I read that there was a one way system in Nechells.At the Green it went left into Thimble Mill Lane right at Long Acre down to Cuckoo Rd and back up Nechells Park Rd.
  10. dek carr

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Ash & Lacey Galvanisers in Meriden St 1960s moved to Rea St.
  11. dek carr

Across Birmingham on the 29A

I remember the 29a at the Kingstanding end it went up and over Kettlehouse and down to the terminus at the Trees Pub on the Queslett Road.
  12. dek carr

City Centre Photographs

I have my doubts on No6 being the Hippodrome Tower as directly underneath it is what appears to be New St Station.
  13. dek carr

The cane at school

You were lucky Anne we had poor quality Schools but even worse was the poor quality Teachers in most inner city schools.
  14. dek carr

Sutton Park

Yes Wendy many times. Sometimes the water felt so cold it was just great to get there and very hard to get back in the water to swim back lol.
  15. dek carr

Sutton Park

For me it was always the 20 odd bridges at Bracebridge very slippy on your bike when wet but knew that just around the corner was a little sandy beach where we could have a nice swim without the fuss of Keepers Pool and it was free too.
  16. dek carr

Bloomsbury Street

Been to the Community Centre today.Its quite ironic that they have money for new lighting, Heating and Fire Alarm System + decorating to bring the premises up to health and safety standards before they are able to move any books across. Something fishy going on if you ask me.
  17. dek carr

Bloomsbury Street

As said its down to use. I bet there wasn,t one person in Nechells that never use the library in the 50s even if it was just to get warm.Now we have a different population and I wouldn,t be surprised if the majority never new where the library was.
  18. dek carr

Bloomsbury Street

Viv it may be difficult to get access to Bloomsbury Library now I believed it was closed a couple of weeks ago.
  19. dek carr

Bloomsbury Street

Phil I cannot ever remember this corner called Hyde park there was never a name plate and who thought of the spelling I have seen it on a photo though I think someone has got confused with High Park corner a couple of hundred yards away on Nechells Green
  20. dek carr

Birmingham Trams

Seem to remember that pub as the Castle Ragga.
Back