• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Emerald Social & Boys Football Club Small Heath Birmingham

Hi Lander66, Sorry for the late reply. Did you play in the Birmingham Junior County Cup final where Emerald beat Northfield Town 3-0 in the 1974 final. The win was pretty amazing when you consider that a number of that Northfield side went on to become top level professionals. Look forward to...
  2. J

Emerald Social & Boys Football Club Small Heath Birmingham

Hi Guys, Does anyone have an documentation, links or info on the above football team. I am also looking for any historians of any of the following leagues who may have old records. Birmingham Boys League, Castle Vale League, Mercian League, Selly Oak League, South Birmingham League, Second City...
  3. J

The festival league. [football].

Emerald Social in the 70/80's
  4. J

Aston Tavern, Aston Hall Road

Hi, just looking on a 2008 posting I made and reference by Astonian was made to the following: Was That The ONE oN Aston Hall Rd Where They Done The Pub Auctions Ran By A Couple Named Dave , And Annie , ? , They Moved Around Alot Of Pubs Best Wishes Astonian Now I have no idea of the dates...
  5. J

Aston Tavern, Aston Hall Road

Hi Dottie, have not been on here for years - Good to be back. Was this Frank the brother of Billy Garraty? Been trying work out if/which sister of Billy Garraty's ran the pub must be around the 1920's Rgds - Joe
  6. J

Are there any records available for workers within the JQ around early 1900's

Hi Guys, I received this inquiry today - any ideas? "My wifes ancestors worked in the Jewellery trade in Birmingham during the later half of the 19th Century and some were still working in gold in the 1911 census. Are there any records that I could consult to see if any are listed? "...
  7. J

Ye Old Green Man/The Lad in the Lane

Hi, Interesting few facts from David Fowler in the thread regarding William Garraty. I had been told that William (Billy) www.billygarraty.com had run the pub but then could find no evidence of the same. However, at least one of his children was apparently born in the pub this being Gwen. I...
  8. J

Bombing of Ash Road Saltley

Bombing of Ash Road and St Saviour's Cemetery Hi, Does anybody have any dates when the St Saviour's Church Cemetery was bombed? Talking to the vicar there last summer who told me that cemetery suffered a large crater when German bombers dropped bombers on the cemetery whilst trying to hit...
  9. J

135 Dollman Street and onwards!

Hi, Would anyone on here happen to know when the back to backs were pulled down in Dollman Street? My Great Grandfather was born at the back of 32 Dollman St, in 1878 when Dollman St was actually Aston - as I have it on Billy's (www.billygarraty.com) birth certificate which shall be added to...
  10. J

WasDoes the church keep burial records ?

Re: Was Does the church keep burial records ? Hi, Just to update youall on this thread. I visited St Saviours one Sunday morning sometine in the summer and after mass spoke with the Vicar who told me that the reason that I could not find my relatives graves is because the Germans blew a large...
  11. J

Garraty & Nee Holmes ( Matilda )

Hi, Things hae moved a lot since my initial posting and I expect in the near future to be able to put a lot of useful info on my website www.billygarraty.com which may help others with whom I am related. Rgds - Joe Burke
  12. J

Anyone with Irish relatives who fought for Britain in WW1 ?

Hi, Just as an addon to the thread that I start early this year I have put a few pages together on what information I have on my Great Uncle todate at www.freewebs.com/josephburke Kind regards Joe Burke www.billygarraty.com www.jewelleryquarterbirmingham.com
  13. J

My two websites

Thanks Graham, For taking he time to reply. Rgds - Joe
  14. J

My two websites

Hi Graham, Just to let you know that I have added your link to my Josephburke website. Have another look as I have added a couple of photos and one is of my great uncle's name on the famous Menin Gate Memorial. Rgds - Joe
  15. J

My two websites

16. J

My two websites

17. J

My two websites

Hi, I am building a couple of websites - one from my Mother's side and the other from my Fathers. Hope you find them as interesting as I hav found them doing the research : Rgds - Joe Burke www.freewebs.com/josephburke ( died at 18 in WW1 ) www.freewebs.com/billygarraty ( Ex England & Villa...
  18. J

Re : Thanks Many thanks for both your help is greatly appreciated. I have have found the mass cards and stupidly did not notice that William was buried with his Father Francis in the family grave along with possibly others - not on his own. This may put a different slant on things. Kind...
  19. J

Anyone with Irish relatives who fought for Britain in WW1 ?

Hi, My Father who was born in Dublin, has 2 uncles who fought and died for Britain in WW1 along with over 500.000 other Irishmen. Why would Irishmen fight for Britain in 1914 whilst being occupied by Forces of the Crown - a subject that has always interested me !!! Anyway, my Father has 2...
  20. J

Hi, I have a mass card stating that my relative ( william Garraty - www.freewebs.com/billygarraty ) was buried in St Saviour's cemetry, Saltley around the 1930's. Having had no luck in personally locating the headstone as the cemetry wasat the time completely overgrown, I was advised by the...
Back