• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. C

Velocette factories

Thanks, that's interesting to see.
  2. C

Hercules Cycles

Raleigh took over Hercules and moved production to Nottingham, they made bikes into the 80s, don't know about more recent but the company existed on paper to 2002. The Indian branches of Hercules, BSA, Phillips and Brooks still exist, owned by TI India.
  3. C

Velocette factories

Dek, the Italian name would have been inspired velocipede the Victorian word for bike, trike, quadrike etc. They were Veloce but changed their name to Velocette. There's a saddle brand called Velo.
  4. C

Velocette factories

Thanks. Yes, it's near to where Triumph was. Here's the sign https://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/274037001/ with a thumbnail to the next picture.
  5. C

Wright's Rope Works

Did they have any connection to Wrights Saddles, who were in Selly Oak then Smethwick?
  6. C

Velocette factories

Thanks, is there any remains of it?
  7. C

Velocette factories

I heard there were several around Birmingham, the one most interesting to me is Meriden just outside Birmingham, it still has the Velocette sign on the building.
  8. C

'Lions Saddles' factory. (bike saddles)

Thanks for the link, i'll see if I can find anything.
  9. C

I found out that Phillips bicycles in their Newtown period were at the Lion Works factory but I don't know if there is a connection.
  10. C

Does anyone know of such a factory? The only info I have is that I have seen an antique leather saddle with 'LION' on the sidestamped logos.
  11. C

Osmond Cycles

Nice advert. Does anyone know how many bicycle manufacturers were in Birmingham?
  12. C

Bicycle saddle factories: Wrights, Leatheries, Lycett, Mansfield

I can see it now. Thanks, I really appreciate that, it's interesting to see.
  13. C

Hello Nick, I just saw your posting, the saddle sounds interesting, although no photo is showing up here at the moment.
  14. C

The Leatheries Ltd, bicycle saddle factory

I only just saw there replies. Thank you both. (I don't know which years they were in production)
  15. C

Wilby saddles

Thanks mike for all this information on locations. The saddle I saw had 'A E Wilby' 'Holloway Head' on the side stampings, although the 'Head' part was illegible so I didn't realise until now. It also had 'Birmingham'.
  16. C

Wilby saddles

I'd heard of them but knew nothing about them, I found out today that they were a Birmingham company. Does anyone have more details?
  17. C

The Leatheries Ltd, bicycle saddle factory

I know it was in Sparkbrook at Sampson Road North, does anyone know which building it was and if it still exists?
  18. C

Birds Custard Factory.

Did this Birds family own Tudor Grange mansion who's garden the college was built on?
  19. C

Thank you both, that's very kind of you to allow the use of these pictures, (which I will do soon).
  20. C

Thanks, this is definately great to see for anyone interested in the old vintage saddles. As with my previous post there is a group and these pictures would be really appreciated: it is https://www.flickr.com/groups/1108672@N21/
Back