• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

Would love to see photos Pat! x
  2. B

Kalamazoo

what a lovely story and lovely memories! I will show my mom this to read, she will love it..... When you next go to your art class, please do ask if they can remember a chap called Leonard wicks, he was a lithograph artist for Kalamazoo. Im an artist myself i think my grandad must have passed...
  3. B

Kalamazoo

sounds a great time...... do you remember anyone called Leonard Wicks working there?
  4. B

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

Hi Ken, Not sure what year that would be, I will ask Dad...... I guess it would be around 1954/55/56? Dad was 70 this year!
  5. B

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

Hi Ken, My Dad used to deliver papers for the Harris family when he was a boy! So, are you a Harris then? Would you remember my Dad Ian Russell as a paper boy? This is his e mail reply: Hello yes i do remember the Harris family I used to deliver newspapers for them, they ran a news paper...
  6. B

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

Thinking about it, yes I knew a Busby, a tall old lady called May with a gruff voice, and always lovely to me!
  7. B

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

I remember them! 'Uncle' Sid Hones used to live next door to us! His wife Gladys used to stink the street out making nettle tea for her rheumatism, I loved them both! Busby is interesting, as we have relations/ancesters called Busby............
  8. B

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

Will do! We were at the lower numbers end, at 28........... but if they were by a fish shop, that ups the odds of him knowing them! ;-)
  9. B

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

I'll ask my Dad when I see him tomorrow.... see if the names ring any bells! x
  10. B

Formans Road Sparkhill

Thats brilliant, thanks ever so much Phil, the 1976 one is my time, so I must remember all of those shops! will look closer..... see if the old grey matter works!
  11. B

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

What was your Dads name? I remember a few of Gramps old pals, we used to drink tea in a little shed, out of white metal mugs washed with water from the well!
  12. B

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

Does anyone remember my Gramp? He used to live in Formans rd in the 60's/70's, maybe even 50's before I was born! number 52. he had an allotment, and used to enjoy bet on the horses and a pint in the Bear pub! Albert 'Bertie' Russell. He passed away in the 80's and I would love to know if...
  13. B

Formans Road Sparkhill

Does anyone have any old photographs of Formans Rd, Sparkhill that they would be kind enough to share? Also the Lucas Girling factory in Tysely, the allotments along Formans rd, (I think they were called Springgrove), St Johns CofE school Stratford rd, etc... and anywhere in that vicinity...
  14. B

Birchfield rd shops Perry Barr

Thanks Sylvia, I think you may be right about the Senior service. I thought it may have said 'cleaners' but now you have said that, its obviously 'cigarettes'! Lily Perkins newsagents it must be. x
  15. B

Mom also worked in Englands Shoe shop, I believe it was on Stratford Rd. Does anyone have any photo's of this? Or memories of Mom there,,,, Sylvia White in the 50's?
  16. B

Thanks Phil, youre an angel! Bit of a conundrum about the Senior service shop though, as it is on the photo you sent, and Mom remembers it..... someone else must remember it too. I appreciate your time. x
  17. B

Thanks Mike, Mom will love all this info. She was reeling off names of places earlier and I am trying to gather more information for her. Thanks ever so much. x
  18. B

Gosh, little nodding birds eh? I will have to ask Mom tomorrow when I ring her, she'll remember that if it is the place.
  19. B

Can anyone remember the 'Senior service shop', shown next to George Baines in the photo? My Mum thinks her gran used to take blankets and curtains there to be cleaned as they didnt have a washing machine. Is this right, as on the Kellys list, for shops in the 50's its not mentioned. I believe...
  20. B

Thanks ever so much! Will study it all now. x Pics would be great if you come up with any.
Back