• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. db84124

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Roger Spry has had a glorious career in professional soccer. After having begun in Wolverhampton Wanderers' youth squad in the 1960s, I'm told he suffered a broken leg on two occasions and decided to turn to coaching. The BBC considers Roger as "the most successful English football coach you've...
  2. db84124

Hello there, Trevor, While at Bordesley Green Tech., the likeable Mr G.W. Churchward had two nicknames. I seem to recall a slight Scottish lilt in his husky, growling voice; hence he was named "Jock". His second but more common nickname was horrendously cruel, but we all know how schoolboys...
  3. db84124

Yes, correct, we were referring to two different photos, hence my request to set things straight. Amazingly, in your photograph there are three lads who went on to play for various age-group teams at Bordesley Green Technical School. As you so rightly state, both Graham Butlin (and, of course...
  4. db84124

Does anyone know which street this airplane body is being transported in?

Re: Does anyone know which street this aircraft fuselage is being transported in? Dave is right. The company H. H. Bushell & Co. Ltd. - which was classified as "general merchants" - had premises at 46/52 Brearley Street and a warehouse at 31/45 Brearley Street, Birmingham 19 certainly up to 1966.
  5. db84124

Bordesley green

There is also a Facebook page for former pupils of Bordesley Green Boys' Technical School. Be very careful to insert the "Boys' Technical School" part of the name into the FB search facility as there are seven FB pages dedicated to The Tech, all of which are empty except the Bordesley Green...
  6. db84124

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

Hello again, Chris, I'd like to take you up on your second challenge. Is the captain Geoffrey Paddison? Geoffrey was probably better known to most people as the opera singer David Hughes (born 11 October 1929 – 19 October 1972), the Birmingham-born (Bournbrook) tenor with Welsh forefathers. Am I...
  7. db84124

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

Hello there, Old Boy, I went to Bordesley Green Tech and I think I recognise the officer in the photo you posted. Is it Mr E.C.E. "Eric" Lunn? I have done a fair amount of research into my former school and have come across Mr Lunn in the official school photographs of 1949, 1961 and 1964. Here...
  8. db84124

The City of Birmingham - 46235

And a third academic point: there's another mistake in the opening sentence of the link in Post #32 which seems to have been overlooked. It says: "Ex-LMS 7P 4-6-0 Princess Coronation class No 46257 'City of Salford' is seen standing ...... ". Harbornite76 refers to the "City of Birmingham" as "a...
  9. db84124

Science Museum Newhall Street

In post #15, Wendy has posted two magnificent photographs by Ian Pitcher. The second is of a bottle-making machine which failed to find itself space at Thinktank. These notes are from the minutes of a meeting of the City Council on 1st April 2003. Councillor John Hood to the Cabinet Member for...
  10. db84124

Science Museum Newhall Street

Although it didn't roll up and down a short length of track like the “City of Birmingham”, in the late 'fifties there was another steam locomotive at Newhall Street. It was called "Leonard". It had spent its working life at the Minworth sewage treatment works near Birmingham. After its having...
  11. db84124

Baseball in birmingham

...... and they definitely played at the Ritz until at least 1958, possibly 1960.
  12. db84124

York & Lancaster Regiment 1930s

Re: A question He was a member of the York and Lancaster Regiment.
  13. db84124

Using personal messages on Facebook

Although I've had a Facebook account for six years, this is something I have known about for a question of weeks! Recently I sent some photographs to a lady via Facebook; she was unaware they had arrived. When a person sends another person a message via Facebook it goes into the person's Inbox...
  14. db84124

Salerno War Cemetery : Flowers

Yes, I've received and read st.evenlucy's message. Thank you for your thanks. I'm very pleased the instructions were sufficiently well written to follow. The difference between giving a small bunch of flowers and giving your life is beyond any form of comparison ...... They will never be...
  15. db84124

Good morning, st.evenlucy, I send off four photographs to you last Saturday. Unfortunately I was unable to use this site: here you can only attach photos to personal messages via an URL address. As you let me know your name through your message to me, I sent the photographs to you via Facebook...
  16. db84124

Hello there, st.evenlucy, I already have the position of Mr Changretta's grave. He died on 30th September, 1943, aged 25. He was the son of Thomas Martin Changretta and Ann Changretta; and the husband of Florence Nellie Changretta of Ashted, Warwickshire. If you send me a private message with...
  17. db84124

Tomorrow morning - or possibly Friday - I'll be driving 9 miles (15 km) to Salerno War Cemetery. If any member of the Forum would like me to place a flower on the grave of a relative, friend or simply an acquaintance lying there, would he or she please let me know the full name of the war hero...
  18. db84124

Mysterious manoeuvre ……

Hello there, PB7229, Thank you for your highly informative contribution. Very interesting to be told that there was no Bundy clock just before the Yew Tree roundabout. When I first saw this photo several months ago now, my eye fell immediately on the bus. The only route which follows that...
  19. db84124

Mysterious manoeuvre ……

Brilliant, Brian !!!! Never thought of that! :friendly_wink: D.
  20. db84124

Mysterious manoeuvre ……

A Sparks and sheldontony : Thank you very much for your contributions. All the routes you’ve mentioned on their outward journey follow Hob Moor Road, go around the Yew Tree roundabout and then turn into Church Road before going into Yew Tree Lane and then Moat Lane. When coming out of town, they...
Back