• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Steve R

NEW POLICE MUSEUM NOW OPEN

Hello all Just for clarification the police museum has moved from Sparkhill and is now at 40 Steelhouse lane, Birmingham. The opening hours are 10am - 4pm Tuesday - Sunday. Last entry is 3pm. The site is museum.west-midlands.police.uk should you wish to book tickets Have a look at the site...
  2. Steve R

The Birmingham Pals in the Great War

In the Birmingham Pals history of the 14th battalion there is a C Crisp who is on the Manifolda Limited roll of honour in West Bromwich. Could this be your relative?
  3. Steve R

The Birmingham Pals in the Great War

Hello Yes, you may use any image I have posted on this site that you wish. Thank you for asking. Send me a PM if you think I can help any further. Steve R
  4. Steve R

Easter Meet Up 2017

Lyn Count me in, great place was there just before Christmas.
  5. Steve R

World War 1 Photo Requests

Tim You are very kind thank you. Interestingly throughout our lives there are many occasions that we will remember for both good or bad reasons. One such occasion for me was when I was approached by a friend of a friend to ask if I would take her father and his sister to the battlefield area as...
  6. Steve R

World War 1 Photo Requests

It's getting close to that time of year again. I will be going to the Somme battlefield the end of March. If anybody would like any picture of grave or memorials to your relatives etc please PM me with the details. Soldiers full name and any regimental details such as service number and regiment...
  7. Steve R

Early Police Women

Thank you to those that have contributed we are slowly building the picture and hopefully somebody will be able identify those listed. We now have contact with Rebecca Lispscombe's family but we are still searching for Evelyn Miles decedents. The books celebrating a 100 years of Women in...
  8. Steve R

Avro Lancaster Nx611 Just Jane

Excellent thread, very interesting. Well done! Steve R
  9. Steve R

Steelhouse Lane Police Station..the End Of An Era

The building you refer to is no longer a police building, I understand it was returned to the local authority some years back now after the one in ickneild Port Road was built. I am hopeful we will get a decision before long. Steve R
  10. Steve R

The Miles Family

Bewdley I have it now and have worked it out, it Evelyn who is a Police Women in the city Police but whoever recorded it put it on the line below. I have never seen this record before can I ask where it is? You have been very helpful throughout this thread thank you. Steve R
  11. Steve R

The Miles Family

MWS - Time for me to hit the voters register and see if I can find them. Thank you very much for your help. Steve R
  12. Steve R

The Miles Family

Bewdley In post 3 you mention Winifred as Estates visitor City Police. I am not sure what that means exactly. Are we saying she was a Police officer? or stayed in Police premises. Is there a document you could email to me? Steve R
  13. Steve R

The Miles Family

I have been on several forums over the years but BHF is the friendliest and most helpful yet. Steve R
  14. Steve R

The Miles Family

Well I must say you guys have been really busy and achieved more than I could have done. I have over the last month found some of the earlier stuff but past 1911 census have struggled. Post 11 onwards has lots of new information. George and Caroline's 3 sons - Percy Reginald & Lionel John have...
  15. Steve R

The Miles Family

I am searching for descendants of Walter and Evelyn Miles. The family 0riginate from Gloucester in the 1860's and eventually resided in Birmingham. They adopted a son, George Radway-Miles and a daughter Winifred. Walter was a Police Sergeant in the Birmingham City Police and Evelyn has the...
  16. Steve R

Steelhouse Lane Police Station..the End Of An Era

You have done a nice Job Lyn Top of the class
  17. Steve R

Sheldon

Excellent read above via the link on post 311. All these little gems that Birmingham has Steve R
  18. Steve R

Spitfire Fund

Very interesting, I had never heard of this incident before. Excellent post Steve R
  19. Steve R

Early Police Women

I agree worthy of a mention. They both joined on the same day so I think worthy of recognition in fact Rebecca (a local lady) name is written before Evelyns so perhaps she should be considered the first but we will never know for sure now. I have found records for Evelyn who originated from...
  20. Steve R

Early Police Women

Hello Lyn/Viv We have done the archives and have some very interesting stuff for the book. I will let you know when it is available. I have seen the two links above as the museum supplied the information. I am interested in any pictures the members may have of Police women but it is the early...
Back