• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

I became a legal secretary after leaving MHGS. After a year I went to the Birmingham College of Food for three years as I had some idea of becomng a restaurant manageress and running some swanky establishment. Unfortunately I got married just after I left college and couldn't cope with the...
  2. S

Where did you live

Born Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital 1952, lived in The Broadway, Perry Barr until 1956, moved to Stoneleigh Road (round the corner until 1974, married, lived in Tysoe Road, Kingstanding until 1979, Woodway, Erdington until 1985, Glenfield Close Sutton Coldfield until 1999, left in disgust...
  3. S

Canterbury Road Canterbury Cross Schools

There must have been two Mr Mullinses because Canterbury Cross Mr Mullins was in post when I left in July 1964 (I said 1965 in my earlier post, but it was definitely 1964 - memory fade!) Mr Mullins and Miss Pinches couldn't abide each other apparently. Mr Mullins seemed to like me, though, for...
  4. S

Canterbury Road Canterbury Cross Schools

I was in Miss Pinches' class from 1963 to 1965. For some reason (luckily!) she used to like me. She retired in 1965 which was the year I left the school at which point she was aged 70. I'm quite interested in family history research and I looked up some details about her when I'd got nothing...
  5. S

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Agree with other posters, Stitcher, that a QSL card is sent out by radio amateurs when they make a contact - my husband was a keen radio ham and we have a box of them cluttering up the place! Guess it might have been a radio club attached to British Leyland perhaps? Have posted my Metro club...
  6. S

The Soho Road trams - 1: the horse trams, 1872 - 1887

I've just come across a great photograph in an old book I managed to get my hands on and I thought I'd share it with anyone who's interested - a photo of one of the first Birmingham and District Tramways Co Ltd horse cars. I have also attached a front and back view of a tram ticket for the same...
  7. S

Brummie sayings & language

Whenever my Dad headed for the loo and I inevitably asked where he was going, the answer was always "to see a man about a dog". I often wondered why we never actually got a dog...............
  8. S

24 lower loveday street look up please

Many thanks, Mike - I'll give that a go!
  9. S

24 lower loveday street look up please

Hi Mike Would you mind if I asked you where you got your detailed Birmingham map from? I've been looking everywhere and can't find one for sale. Many thanks, Barbara
  10. S

H.p.sauce History

Hi Pamela - yes, I'm Barbara. We keep in touch although I haven't had contact with him since just before Christmas when I had rather a bad fall and didn't do much on the computer for ages! (Couldn't use my arm)
  11. S

H.p.sauce History

Hi Pamela Cliff Crutchley is my cousin, his father was my Uncle Clifford and his mother my Aunty Nancy - Hannah Moss
  12. S

Birmingham City Transport Social, Athletic and Thrift Society

Brilliant, thanks Colin and Maurice. That puts the date of my newspaper cutting at 1948 then, which seems to make sense. Dad ( a bus driver for Birmingham Corporation) won a race in the over 40's category! (He was fitter than me, I have to say!) Barbara
  13. S

Birmingham City Transport Social, Athletic and Thrift Society

Hi everyone Does anyone have any idea when this Society might have been set up? I have a newspaper cutting from the 41st Annual Sports day and I'm just trying to put a date to it. I can't find a mention of it anywhere else. Many thanks, Barbara
  14. S

No 8 Bus Route

Thanks, Frothblower! Can you imagine getting a medal for doing your job properly today?! Barbara
  15. S

No 8 Bus Route

Hi everyone My dad, Frank Basnett, drove the Number 8 bus from 1933 until 1965 when he died. He took great pride in his job, turning out in all weathers and he never had a day off sick or an accident (I have several of the medals he was awarded by Birmingham City Transport for safe driving!)...
  16. S

Workhouse Infirmary 99 Dudley Rd 1 Western Road

Hi, it was known as the Birmingham Workhouse Infirmary from 1889 to 1920 and Dudley Road Hospital from 1921-1948. The National Archives claims that the Admission and Discharge records are held at Birmingham Archives (Birmingham Central Library) for the period 1890 to 1960. If you're not local...
  17. S

Clifton Road Aston

Hi Louisa - my grandparents were Edmund and Annie Crutchley living at number 143 Clifton Road. My uncle (their son) Clifford Crutchley married Hannah Moss in 1935 - is she connected to your Moss's? I can remember my mum saying that my grandma was a bit sniffy about the fact they were "boat...
  18. S

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hi everyone, I've just come across this thread and it's brilliant! I was born in Brum in the early 50s and went clubbing mostly in the late 60s. I also used to go to Mother's in Erdington High Street - my mum used to run the Army and Navy Stores a few doors away. I had to add a couple of years...
Back