• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

Station Pub in Sutton Coldfield.

Hi All, Does anybody know when the Station pub in Sutton Coldfield (Station street) was built? The railway station was completed in 1862, so I am presuming that it was built alongside it? Does anyone have any information on the history of the pub, or can direct me to a source? I did a quick...
  2. P

Irving Street

Hi there, I am doing some family history research and one member lived in Irving Street in 1861, I just wondered if anyone knew what kind of housing was on the street at the time? Was this back to back houses or Victorian terraces, would people have worked and lived on the street in cottage...
  3. P

Great barr hall

Hi Dave, I am looking to write a feature on Great Barr Hall for a heritage blog (Birmingham Conversation Trust). I have been looking to visit the site, but I have heard it is now really hard to get close to the Hall with security and trespassing etc.. I wondered if you would give me your...
  4. P

Enos Edwards - Engineer of Birmingham Fire Office 1805 / the Bull Ring Riot 1839

Hi I have several generations of ancestors that worked as fireman for the Birmingham Fire Office 1805-67 in Union Passage. Although there is lots of information on the later fire service i,e from 1870’s and the Tozer family, I wondered if anyone new of where I could start to find information...
  5. P

Pheasey Estate changes in roads from 1940's to present.

I live on the pheasey estate and came across the thread US Base Pheasey Estate as I am interested in the history of the area. I viewed the old map of the area form the 40's (Post by guest Nov 28th 2006 - map below) and noticed that some of the road have been changed. Compared with the modern...
  6. P

1928 Wedding Edith and Horace Turville

Hi Bernard, I just spotted this picture of Horace Turville's wedding. My great grandmother is Clara Turville, and I believe from my existing research on the Turville family that Horace's (b 1905) parents are Albert Turville (1874) and Blanche Bayliss. Clara and Albert were siblings, and...
  7. P

Lucas employees

Thanks Mike, that's very interesting, I was told they always lived in Poplar terrace off Charles Arthur Street. Thanks for the info.
  8. P

Lucas employees

Thanks for the replies everyone. Len, Arthur is my grandfather and as he died very young and my grandmother remarried so I know very little about him. However, this is what I do know: b: around Oct 1911 Aston D: 25th August 1946 Parents: Athur Edwards (snr), and Gertrude Annie (nee...
  9. P

Lucas employees

I am looking for any further information on Arthur Edwards b Aston 1911 d August 1946 aged 35. He worked at the Lucas Lamp Works (not sure where or what site this is) until his untimely death at the age of 35. He was seen as vital to the factory during WW2 so they got special permission to...
  10. P

Untraceable people on Census record

Hi Suzanne, You are very good at this, thanks, I don't think i would have ever found that, Rosannah is listed as Rod, oh dear! Thanks for all your help.
  11. P

Hi Suzanne, Thanks looks like it could be her, I had found that Benjamin in the 1951 census, but obv she wasn't born then so couldn't link them. However, I think you have just found them in the 1861, but mistranscribed. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
  12. P

Thanks suzanne, I have found Rose Hannah previously, and at the time thought it could be her but on census records her father is not Benjamin, so I don't think it is her. Thanks for looking.
  13. P

I wonder if anyone could help or advise. I have hit a brick wall in finding a couple of people on some census records. Would it be the case that sometimes people did not get included, or got missed out in some way? What other reasons would there be for not taking part in the census? Just in...
  14. P

Flavell James Looking for missing gggrandfather.

Re: Looking for missing gggrandfather. Flavell Hi, I was searching for any old posts on the surname Flavell, and came across this post. I realise this was written a few years ago, so may not be relevant to you now? However, I believe you were looking for the marriage of a James Flavell and...
  15. P

Home Guard

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but during my research I came across this movie of the Home Guard on Parade in Aston Park. https://www.movinghistory.ac.uk/homefront/films/ce4.html
  16. P

Hawker and Traveller

My great great etc grandfather John Flavell is listed on his son's marriage certificate as a "traveller" (1850's) At first glance I wondered if he was linked to a gypsie family, but I presume this could have meant something else back then? He was living at a fixed address in steelhouse lane...
Back