• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. james houston

234 Knowle Road. Electoral Register information

Hello I wonder if anyone can help , I am trying to find out what year that Vera Jessie Brooks and Vera Gladys Smith moved into :- 234 Knowle Road Sparkhill I think that it was between 1921 and 1930.Many thanks. Jim
  2. james houston

Acocks Green house

When I was a young lad in the 60s on the corner of the junction of Shirley Rd and Victoria Rd ,Acocks Green by the island there was an old derelict Victorian House which stood empty for years.Has anyone anyone any details on the history or the occupants of this property. As kids it was known...
  3. james houston

Childhood Games

When we were kids playing in the street you always had to pick who was IT or ON when playing hide and seek ,tag,kiss chase etc.we would choose a rhyme to do this.We sometimes used Eeny Meeny Mynee Mo but most of the time used a rhyme that went(excuse spelling) Air eye dummer racka chicka poppa...
  4. james houston

St Pauls C Of E School Spencer Street

I have searched high and low for any photographs of St Pauls school Spencer St/Warstone lane but without Success it was demolished to make way for offices in the late 60s if anyone has any information or photograph's i would be very grateful.Jim
  5. james houston

Jewellery Quarter

Is there anyone out there who lived in and around Kenyon St in the late 50s till the early 60s when they started slum clearence in the area,also did anyone go to St Pauls school on the corner of Spencer St.Jim
  6. james houston

Electoral look up please

Would it be possible to look up the address of a Mr Harold Robert Winsor & Mrs Elise Winsor,they lived in Hall Green in the 1940s.Many Thanks ,Jim
  7. james houston

Elsie Hill

Looking for any information of Elsie Hill born 1900 in birmingham she married Frederick Rooker in 1924 and had 8 children,trying to find her mothers name[maybe Lilian]and fathers name,i know she had sisters called Dolly and Edith think she also had brothers who were entertainers.Many thanks to...
  8. james houston

Smith Harry

Could anyone help i am trying to find out any information of a Harry Smith b 1894 in Sheffield ,married to Vera Gladys Bailey in Sheffield july !917,lived in Birmingham for a short time ,he had 2 sons Vivian & Derek.He apparently died in New zealand in 1921,trying to find out his parents names...
  9. james houston

Second Hand Shop Stoney Lane

Does anyone remember an old junk shop in Stoney Lane Sparkhill,my Great uncle Jim Houston and his stepson Pat Hubble ran it in the 50's till the early 70's
  10. james houston

Kashmir Indian Restaurant Coventry Road

Can anyone remember the name of the indian restaurant at the Swan shopping centre Yardley in the 70s,it was underneath the Cavendish Night club on Coventry Rd.
  11. james houston

V & A Smith. newsagents sparkhill

Has anyone any recollection of a newsagents called V &A Smith on Stratford RD Sparkhill by Knowle Rd late 40s to 50s.Jim
  12. james houston

Epn electrical

Has anyone any recollection of EPN Electrical Warwick rd Tyseley,i left school and started work there in 1967 they had a sister company called Goodyear Transformers.Jim
  13. james houston

St Pauls C of E school Spencer Street Hockley

Is there anyone out there who remembers st pauls school on the corner of spencer st and warstone lane. I went there between 1957 -1962.Jim
  14. james houston

electoral look up please

Could anyone please look up who lived at 618 stratford rd sparkhill in 1945/6/7.Thank You
  15. james houston

map request please

Could someone post me a map of Kenyon St Hockley trying to locate 1/65.Many thanks Jim
  16. james houston

Fox Hollies Pub

Has anyone any memories of the fox hollies pub,i think i was first taken there by my Grandad back in the 50s,we used to sit out the back and watch the bowling,if it ever rained i would stand in the passage with other kids with my bottle of lemonade and packet of smith's crisps.The Fox was one of...
  17. james houston

Fletcher/Leach families

Does anyone have any knowledge of 2 families that lived in kenyon st in the 50s and 60s,one was the Fletcher's gran mom dad and 4 kids Ann ,Bernard ,Terry and June,the other family were called Leach mom dad +7 kids john ,Joan,Janet ,Jean,June,Jane,Jaqueline
  18. james houston

St Pauls c of e school

Does anyone remember St Pauls school On the corner of Spencer st and Warstone lane it was demolished in the 60's.I attended there for 5yrs from 57 to 62.Can't find any details of school or any Photo's.
  19. james houston

Hartland

Is there anyone related or knows about the Hartland family from bromley st [1901 census] Harriet was my wifes grand mother but we have no information abot her brothers & sisters.
  20. james houston

Smith

Trying to trace parents of Vivian Charles Smith Born Sheffield 1919 moved to Birmingham approx 1920s also had brother called Derek
Back