• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

Birmingham Cinemas

The Lozells QuestionAccording to the Files. When First the Cinema opened for a very short time it was known as Aston Picture Palace. Then to Lozells Picture house designed by Hipkiss and Stephens. The new theatre was built to the plans of architect Horace G. Bradley, it opened on 23rd...
  2. M

Birmingham Cinemas

Two cinemas have stood on that site.. The last one alas got damaged by Goring's boys
  3. M

Judy Garland in Birmingham

The Picture was taken at the Hippodrome in one of the Bars... Pictures where taken with all the ABC Managers on the Birmingham and the Midland area. It was Basically done on a conveyer belt system. The Theatre Tour was done to coincide the Her new film that would have been released soon...
  4. M

Birmingham Cinemas

I think we where involved with two early companies that Joseph Cohen involved with Cinema Proprietors Ltd., and CD Cinemas Ltd., We supplied the pipework for the central heating and building supplies and got part paid in shares and money. Later we had share concerted to ABPC shares... We...
  5. M

Birmingham Cinemas

Hi Astonian Sorry I have to correct your final sentence about the Astoria The ABC Astoria was never sold until it became BRMB.This was one of the many oddities of the ABC Chain/ It was owned in association with Sidney Clift & the Salberg Family.. The Studio was set up for ABC...
  6. M

Birmingham Cinemas

Hi Both pictures are of the Victoria Playhouse.... The Bristol Road was an Art Deco Theatre.... designed by Archibald Hurley Robinson[ QUOTE=devonjim;546586]Another couple of "cinema" prints. 1) Bristol. 2)Victoria Playhouse. Both about 1937. I don't know any of the people in the...
  7. M

Judy Garland in Birmingham

I have a photo of Judy Garland meeting Arthur Taylor the Manager of the ABC Savoy Walsall on this visit to Birmingham
  8. M

Birmingham Cinemas

Chris, You are right about Tom Clarke being Albert Rogers son - in - law .. But I am right about Ray Adams being Alf Mays son-in-law I worked between ABC West Bromwich and ABC Walsall to help out Ray Adams on some promotion work and reliefs.. It was useful that Ray knew about Bowling...
  9. M

Birmingham Cinemas

When Sidney Clift died. His son in law Frank Holmes took over and in 1962 ish a falling out with Ken jones Senior happened over the future policy of the Circuit. Ken Jones wanted to maintain Clifton high standards of running the cinemas.. the other wanted to get them sold off...
  10. M

Birmingham Cinemas

Chris,Tom Clarke was Albert Rogers Son-in-law... and Ray Adams was Alf May's Son-in-law. I spent some time on loan to Ray Adams when he was manager of ABC West Bromwich
  11. M

Birmingham Cinemas

The Regalia Co., Ltd., Was The Rock Cinema in Saltley. This was inpartnership with Sidney Clift and Leon Salberg. The Mayfair was in partnership with Lyons estates The Had a number of small low end of the market cinemas. The Globe The Bull digbeth. Olymipia Ladywood...
  12. M

Birmingham Cinemas

A Piece of Useless information. The Lyric Cinema was Owed by The Plaza Stockland Green which was headed by George Parker. He was also a member of the Clifton Syndicate ..
  13. M

Birmingham Cinemas

The Palace Theatre (Owned at the time by Associated British Cinemas) was damaged by German bombs and closed in 1941, and was still listed as being a ‘closed’ in 1947. It was taken over by Bulpit & Sons Ltd
  14. M

picture house Erdington

The Manager was Boris Peters. I met him just before he died. When He visited the ABC New Street where I was Assitant Manager at the time...
  15. M

Birmingham Cinemas

THE WEST END CINEMA Viewing: Photo | Street View The Curzon Hall opened in 1864 as an exhibition hall. In 1899 Waller Jeffs began screening his ‘Living Picture Shows’ in the building which at that time had a seating capacity of 3,000. It was later re-named New Century Picture Theatre as a...
  16. M

Asia~cinemas, in highgate..

The Rock Cinema opened on 15th January 1934 with Gracie Fields in “This Week of Grace”, and a Laurel & Hardy short.Designed by architectural firm Satchwell and Roberts, with Roland Satchwell acting as supervising architect. The builder was C. Bryant & Sons, and it was owned by Regalia Cinema...
  17. M

Asia~cinemas, in highgate..

Hi Astonian. Lets see. From The Gate Saltley . There was the Carlton. (Which got bombed by Adolf) The Palace Saltley (The Jig-Saw) The Rock Cinema (A Clifton Cinema). which became Gala Bingo and knocked down.. The Grand Saltey Which still stands was a petrol Station -Car Sales...
  18. M

Birmingham Cinemas

The Cinema was "The Regent" Last Owner I remember was a Mr Gupta. Who owned a Car dealership.... Projectors where GB Kalee 21s British Accustic Sound. English Films booking was done by Jonny Brockington. When I worked with him at the ABC Cinema New Street..
  19. M

Birmingham Cinemas

As The General Manager of the Parent Company.. I had to deal with the Closing of the Plaza Stockland Green... I had to go on the Stage and Deliver "The Chaimans Speech" before the Main feature.. Then for the next 2 weeks I had to oversea the stripping out of the Theatre Before handing...
  20. M

Birmingham Cinemas

You are right Palace Erdington was Prior to The Oak.. Prior to The Palace. Could have been "The Picture House Erdington.. The Plaza Stockland Green belonged to us The Capitol... ABC did not own it, and Frank Reago Managed it all its life ABC had around 25 halls and where Graded...
Back