• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Davies, Helen (Ellen or Nell): Schoolteacher in Birmingham area early 1900's

My grandfather and his twin brother were born to an unwed mother, Jane Davies, in 1901 in Birmingham. They spent their early childhood with their widowed grandmother and her youngest daughter, Helen, whom they affectionately called "Aunt Nell". The 1911 census shows Helen as a schoolteacher...
  2. C

Dr. Berlyn in 1900's Birmingham

When my great-grandmother applied to have her 11-year-old twin boys admitted to Middlemore Home in 1912, the information she gave made reference to "Dr. and Mrs. Berlyn", if I am reading the handwriting correctly. The application stated that these people knew "the whole story" and had assisted...
  3. C

Birmingham Law Firms in 1901

My great-grandmother, Jane Davies, was not married when she gave birth to twin boys in Birmingham in 1901. Although her widowed mother and younger sister helped care for the boys while Jane was working, that arrangement ended as the grandmother became more feeble. Jane was advised to place the...
Back