• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. O

Sheldon

Re the Wilmott's sports ground, I too worked at Wilmott's for five years and was only aware of the ground out Bickenhill/Elmdon way.
  2. O

Sheldon

3. O

Scouts Cubs Boys Brigade Girl Guides Brownies

I was not in a Birmingham Troup but joined 1st Olton Cubs sometime in the early 1950's. A that time the Scout Hut was located in the grounds of Chapel Fields School. Not long after I joined the Cubs my mother was 'coerced' into becoming "Akela" and my Brother joined the Cubs. Dad was also roped...
  4. O

Lyndon Road Sheldon

Maurice, My only connection to Crete is that I passed it (all be it at a distance) on the way to Aus in 1963. I imagine a fascinating place. I wish you well and who knows, we might 'bump into' each other here again one day. Take care. Peter.
  5. O

Lyndon Road Sheldon

Maurice, I'm not far behind you (at 81 in a months time) and my chances of reliving my past by visiting Lyndon Road are now non existent. But we have Google and I've been spending a lot of time this week just trawling the streets around Lyndon Road, "visiting" places like my old school etc...
  6. O

Lyndon Road Sheldon

So sorry Maurice but you have to agree, especially at this (Covid) time, old memories can do wonders for the soul. Peter.
  7. O

Lyndon Road Sheldon

Astoness, I don't know why, maybe my age, but I've suddenly become somewhat nostalgic for the 'old days' and memories are suddenly jumping out and reminding me of so many events from the past. One particular one was a program on TV about Wales. Suddenly I was on the promenade at Barmouth in 1946...
  8. O

Lyndon Road Sheldon

A touch off area me thinks. We are talking here of Lyndon Road, Sheldon, Birmingham. P.
  9. O

Lyndon Road Sheldon

Janice, a little bit of history of the area. Where Daylesford Road takes off Lyndon Road all the way up to what was Garners Greengrocery shop was originally a dairy farm. Opposite 275 and 277 Lyndon Road were the milking sheds. After 1940 when the Germans were trying to bomb the Rover factory...
  10. O

Lyndon Road Sheldon

Janice, thanks. Though Dr Basil V (and I am assuming Physns is Physician) Doesn't ring any bells. The Doctor I am looking for moved to the new estate back beyond Lyndon School. Peter.
  11. O

Lyndon Road Sheldon

Jan 2021 A query cropped up today and I couldn't answer it. I was born in Solihull Hospital Maternity Section - Dr R L Washington doing the honors. His practice was in Lyndon Road close to the cinema. He took on a partner Dr Robinson. I need to find out (if someone can remember) the...
  12. O

Sheldon

Hi Wendy. Cant say I know it but I'm just a bit "up the road" in Port Macquarie, NSW. Home was, from 1940 to 1963 in Lyndon Road Sheldon, just a couple of hundred yards up from the Sheldon Cinema. I've been back (though not recently) but now the cinema has gone, I don't think I'll be...
  13. O

Sheldon

Wendylee, whereabouts in Aus? OldBrummie.
  14. O

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

I wonder what prompted the "runner" in the dark glasses. The way the photo has been taken makes it look like he's actually in a race carrying the post (or is that a drain pipe?) and sign that says A3. Old Brummie.
  15. O

Sheldon

Apart from the pubs, I was not familiar with any of the other properties in the discussion. I lived in Lyndon Road from 1940-63 and "thought" I knew the area. I was very wrong. My note here is to say thanks to all who have opened up this topic and to congratulate you all on the lengths you have...
  16. O

St Cyprian's Church, Hay Mills

My paternal family lived in the Small Heath area. Dad was married in Sheldon Parish Church but both his brother (George Arthur Platt) and his sister (Mary Aline Platt) were married in St Cyprian's on 18th June 1938 and 15th April 1939 respectively. The Vicar at that time was R.C. Tait. I did...
  17. O

Bingley Hall

My memories don't go back quite that far but the photos evoke thoughts of how Birmingham used to be. Thank you. OldBrummie
  18. O

Wilmot Breeden Limited

Hi Devonjim. I joined WB in 1958 in the apprentice workshop in Ammington Road. Nine months in, I had an accident whilst working on a lathe and was "Off Work" for 4 weeks with a one and a half inch gash in my left wrist (still have the scar). Messrs Kettle and Roberts decided I was not cut out...
  19. O

Birmingham Street Name Origins

Hi Mikejee and Lloyd I am grateful to you both. I would never have got near Erasmus. Now, another leaf on the tree can be confirmed. Regards to you both. OldBrummie.
  20. O

Birmingham Street Name Origins

Hi Folks I have a copy of a Birth Certificate from 1879. The place of birth and the address of the informant both appear as 21 ENDSMUS Road Aston. I have done my best to verify this street name but with no luck. I can find nothing remotely like it. I am hoping someone out there might be able to...
Back