• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. craiguito

Death notification

Hello, I'd be very grateful for any information for some research I'm doing. On average, if a soldier was killed, in my ancestor's case of Spanish flu, in Africa, does anyone know roughly how long it would take for the relatives back in the UK to be informed? Many thanks in advance, Craig
  2. craiguito

Beaufort Rd, working boys' home?

In 1911, my great grandad Joseph Rosenberg was resident at 55 Beaufort Rd; the other residents were predominently 16/17-year old boys, and judging by their surnames, also Jewish. The head of the household was Arthur Lewis and his wife Rachel's occupation was 'Matron of Working Boys' Home'. What...
  3. craiguito

WW2 Terminology

I have recently acquired my grandad's army service records 1929-1945. I'm still slowly trawling my way through - not helped by certain accronyms and abbreviations. Can anyone tell me what "Struck of Strength" means, also TOS, which I presume is a related accronym? Many thanks in advance. Craig
  4. craiguito

Belle Vue, Parton St, Hockley

According to the 1911 census, my great great aunt Emily Litherland worked as a servant for Emily Hamilton Phillips, address Belle Vue, Parton Rd, Hockley. I can't find this on any maps or searches. Does anyone have any ideas where it was? Thanks in advance Craig
  5. craiguito

Belle Vue, Parton St, Hockley

According to the 1911 census, my great great aunt Emily Litherland worked as a servant for Emily Hamilton Phillips, address Belle Vue, Parton Rd, Hockley. I can't find this on any maps or searches. Does anyone have any ideas where it was? Thanks in advance Craig
  6. craiguito

Haseley Hall

As a child, my nan Joan Rosenberg spent some time at Haseley Hall near Warwick. Can anyone please give me more info on what sort of place this was and who it catered for? Many thanks Craig
  7. craiguito

Tyn y Coed Convalescent Home

I know my great great grandfather John Price Litherland was in the Tyn y Coed convalescent home in Wales when the 1901 census was taken. Does anyone know if it would be possible to find out the nature and duration of his stay? Are archives of residents kept? Craig
  8. craiguito

Arter Rose Hannah -HELP!

I'm trying to find birth year for Rose Hannah Arter, born in Birmingham, so that I can order her birth certificate, but the sources I have point to different birth years. 1901 census records her as 16, so birth year around 1884/5 She married my great grandfather Henry Deeley in 1954, aged 70...
  9. craiguito

Heath Emily 1875 Birth Cert Up For Grabs -

I ordered a wrong birth certificate, so if anyone's interested they can have this one. It's Emily Heath, born December 1874, registered Jan 1875, in Birmingham. Born in Lower Camden Street, father Arthur Heath, Mother Elizabeth Heath, formerly Apps. PM me if you want it. No charge obviously. Craig
  10. craiguito

Randall rugby team - success

I think I have solved the riddle of the Llanelli rugby team which I posted a while ago; I was trying to find out if my great grandfather was one of a team of 7 brothers who made up a team from Llanelli in 1907 who played against another team of 7 Williams brothers from Carmarthen. My second...
  11. craiguito

Hill Joseph - baker

the first husband of my step-great-grandmother was Joseph Hill, a baker and confectioner with a shop on Hockley Hill. He died very young in 1922, but I don't know anything about it, do any of you kind folk know anything about him or could you point me in the direction of somewhere where I could...
  12. craiguito

Joseph Hill 1911-1920

I'm trying to locate a baker / confectioner called Joseph Hill. Any info gratefully received. Craig
  13. craiguito

Army service - help

I'm trying to find out where my great grandfather served during WW1. He was Joseph Rosenberg. He did survive. The info I have so far is: WW1 Medal card . Reg.No. 62304 Welsh Regiment Pte Joseph Rosenberg Awarded British medal (Roll J/1/104A Page 69). He was listed as living at 26 All Saints Rd...
  14. craiguito

Electoral roll query

Where someone is listed at an address and it says 'dwelling house', is this a particular category of residence? Temporary accommodation? What's the significance? Thanks Craig
  15. craiguito

Army rank query

My great grandfather Albert Allcott is listed in 1918 on the electoral register as an absent voter with the following army rank: P/14479, A/L.-Cpl., M.F.P. Could somebody decipher it for me please? Also, in 1918, he would have been 40. Would that not have been too old to serve? I've defintiely...
  16. craiguito

Deeley help!

Looking for Henry (sometimes Harry) Deeley (sometimes Daley!) in 1901 and 1891 - born 1876 He married Emily Heath in 1897 and they lived in Birmingham. Help! Thanks Craig
  17. craiguito

Litherland - Help!!

On 1841 census, living in Lichfield St Johns, I have found Timothy Litherland, age 60; Hannah age 65. They also have a son, Thomas, age 22. There is also Elizabeth Litherland listed, aged 15. I'm trying to find out whether Elizabeth is Timothy and Hannah's daughter or not - Hannah would've been...
  18. craiguito

Litherland Death Look-up:

Looking for date/year of death of Edith Malvina Litherland, born c1878 in Newbold on Avon. Married to Lewis Henry Litherland, in Birmingham c1899. I'd also like to know his death details plase. Would also be interested to know her maiden name if possible. Many thanks Craig
  19. craiguito

Marriage help - Allcott & Pearce

I'm trying to find marriage details for Albert Allcott (b1877) and May Pearce b1885. Both born in Birmingham. I'm imagining the marriage would be around 1905/6 Thanks for any help Craig
  20. craiguito

Emigration

Is there a resource to do a search on what date an ancestor emigrated and if/whether they came back into the country?
Back