• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Claribel

Jarrett Rainsford & Laughton Wave Grip Makers

My mother used to work for a company called Carola Products which used to make Dinky hairgrips and curlers. The factory was in Rabone Lane Smethwick.
  2. Claribel

Falcon Cycles Smethwick

Re Coventry Eagle cycles, my father Joe Roach used to work for Mr Mayo at the Coventry Eagle factory in Tile Hill Coventry. He used to build and braze the frames. This was back in the 1950s. He used to picked up in the works van outside The Smiths Arms pub on Winson Green Road at about 6 15 am...
  3. Claribel

F & M Coaches

Hi Patrick, First of all welcome to the forum, I hope that you enjoy it. As regards F & M coaches, I started the thread off in march last year, the only reason being I used to work with one of the part time drivers and I used to go with him for a ride and on Sundays I used to have a drink with...
  4. Claribel

Aston Pubs

Eric you are right, just asked my wife, she lived in Church Lane. She said down by the Serpantine.
  5. Claribel

Taylors Crisps

Alan I think that you have got the wrong place mate. The crisp factory had no access from the street and was only the size of a large brewhouse. There was a plot down by the 96 bus terminus that was used as a scrap yard that had something todo with Pat Roach the wrestler but that was a bit later...
  6. Claribel

Taylors Crisps

Hi Astonian, the years would be the early 1950s. You couldn't see the factory from the street as it was down an entry between the houses. The factory backed onto the canal towpath. As I said the entry was opposite the junction of Franklin St and Villiers St. Regards Clive
  7. Claribel

Taylors Crisps

Can someone please tell me what this item has to do with the item that I wrote about Taylors Crisps of Wellington Street, Winson Green. Thanks Clive
  8. Claribel

Garages And Service Stations

Sorry Nick I dont remember those two gents, they must have started after I left. Best wishes Clive
  9. Claribel

Gladys (Sally) Lunn

Thanks Janice, Harriet was my mother and Gladys was her cousin as she was the daughter of the brother of Josiah Snr.
  10. Claribel

Gladys (Sally) Lunn

Hi Pollypops, I have traced her to be have lived in Peel Street Winson Green and yes she was born in Birmingham in 1908, could someone please have a look for me please I'm not very good at finding results, Thanks
  11. Claribel

Its a wonder that we never met as we both seemed to be following each other about or you following me anyway. Yes I remember David Kite and John Rogers after you reminded me. Happy days. Best wishes Clive
  12. Claribel

It seems as though our paths must have crossed at different times, I worked on the coaches for the original Claribel coaches in1966-68, not the oufit that is running under that name now. They bought the name off Ronnie Lees daughter after Ron passed away. Harry in the stores was his name...
  13. Claribel

I worked at Ryland garage for a while after I left school until the Suez war and fuel rationing and the work fell off so I was made redundant. Ryland was a main agent for Atkinson and Seddon trucks. As regards the photo the Citroen I think was owned by Brian Crawford and the big old Humber army...
  14. Claribel

I seem to remember that the name of the agent was Clares newsagents in the mid to late 60s
  15. Claribel

The Grand Picture Palace Soho Rd

Mom had a man from S & U stores that used to come weekly for payments for various goods that she purchased. I think that the man who owned it had something to do with Birmingham City football club.
  16. Claribel

The Grand Picture Palace Soho Rd

Between Boulton Road and Nineveh Road in towards town. Its now a shop that sells furniture / carpets.
  17. Claribel

Remembrance Day 2010

Another brilliant parade again today, for those of you that missed it, put it in your diary for a must do for next year. Everybody is welcome.
  18. Claribel

Hairdressing & barbering

Does anyone remember the Rolls Razor? It was enclosed in its own container and it was sharpened by moving the handle back and forth.
  19. Claribel

Remembrance Day 2010

A very good parade from Chelmsley Wood Royal British Legion Clopton Crescent B37 6QT to St Andrews church 13/11/2011, Starts from Legion club at 09.50 after wreath and tributes being laid from 09.15. Northfield Caledonia Pipe and Drum Band will lead the parade. Parade returns to Legion after...
  20. Claribel

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day

Poppies will be on sale on Chelmsley Wood Shopping Centre as from Monday 31st October until 11th November. On 11/11/2011 at 10.45 am a short Remembrance service will be held in the shopping centre a 2 minute silence will be at 11o'clock.The Last Post will be played and wreaths laid. Then on 13th...
Back