• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Waterworks Street

HI I have just come across this my Aunty Gert and Uncle Sadiq Mohamed lived on Waterworks St I remember it was between the Lichfield Rd and Mrs Harrisons shop just after the entry that went around the backs of the houses. This would have been late 50s early 60s. They had to sons Robert and Neil
  2. J

Weather: Winter snow 1967/68 or 1968/69

I remember that snow on the grass verges in March and April
  3. J

Weather: Winter snow 1967/68 or 1968/69

I remember I worked in Birmingham 1969 and the snow was so bad that it stopped the buses getting up the Bristol Rd from Longbridge to Northfield so I didnt get to work.
  4. J

Thornton Baker & Co did you work there?

in the 1970s I worked for the above company for 9 months but do remember so many of the staff who worked there what an impression and such lovely people. They moved and joined with Hurdman Cranston I left before then we were based in Windsor House . The accounts were produced on stencils which...
  5. J

The Avenue Bristol Rd Birmingham?

Its near Bristol Road A38 the address is given as 6 The Avenue Bristol Road Birmingham this is the only one I can find she died in Highcroft Hospital in 1950 but the address 18 Highcroft Road Erdington Birmingham RD. Again from googling this I found it was a large hospital for people of all...
  6. J

Hi Thank you for the reply I have now managed to find out that The Avenue is actually Rubery somewhere I did not think she would have lived another mystery as her family were Northfield and Bourville! We are going at some point to have a ride over from here to see what kind of house it is We...
  7. J

Thank you my husband and I still cant work out exactly where it would have been must be Northfield we both grew up there even googled it but couldnt see it.
  8. J

highcroft hall hospital

Not sure if you will pick this up but we could never find a birth certificate for my grandma in London took 40 years to work it out with help and suggestions. I looked under Annie Mary Whitbread nothing her Uncle George had a middle name Morley he adopted (who knows why!) however it was...
  9. J

In a death certificate for my husbands Gt Aunt her address is given as 6 The Avenue Bristol rd Bimringham her brother registered the death he lived at Tinkers Farm Rd Northfield (she incidentally lived with him in 1939). I cant find this address anywhere can anyone help.
  10. J

Monyhull Hall Hospital Resident

Unfortunately my email has been returned so I will try someone else. However as at the moment I cant be sure when my husbands great aunt was there. However in 1939 she is living with her brother and his wife I have sent for her death certificate by pdf file to see where she was when she died...
  11. J

Just a bit more information the group at the Open University were found under Social Distance Learning group for people with disabilities. I have another email address to contact to see if this leads us anywhere. I think my email may not be any use for technical reasons. I will try this...
  12. J

It was some 8 years ago the group was operating I have emailed the chair person I just googled it and they came up. I may try another person of the group there are about 6 people with email addresses. They were doing a general study of these places.
  13. J

I too am trying to track down the patient records of my husbands great Aunt who was at Monyhull hospital. I cant understand why these records cant be found. I know some records are transferred to the Archives locally. Sometimes there is a 100 year rule and other than next of kin requesting to...
  14. J

Ephraim phillips ltd

Hallo I hope you dont mind me posting but when I was training as a civil servant in the jobcentre we were taken down to Ephraim Phillips for a tour around the factory to see the process from start to finish. I used to love doing visits like this but it wasnt always encouraged. It was a...
Back