• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. I

Thomas Odams: Prodigal Son

My excellent Brummie Sleuths, Thank you all for helping me to establish the true identities of Edward Quiney and Thomas Odams. One mystery remains which we will probably never solve - how and where they met, why they became friends and why they decided to emigrate to Australia. We know from...
  2. I

Hi Mike Polly was suggesting that her husband Edward Quiney may have learned umbrella making from his wife Martha (daughter of John Dodson). Cheers, Ian
  3. I

Thank you again Polly. I think you have definitely shown that Edward Quiney of Lichfield St is not the 'missing' Edward Quiney from Cheapside, and therefore not our Edward Quiney's father. What happened to the Cheapside Edward Quiney Snr remains a mystery. Perhaps he left the family and went...
  4. I

Hi Polly Please thank your friend from me for her help. I've done a little research on the Nutting family. Charles Nutting who married Phoebe Dodson was a carpenter. His father was a builder. Phoebe and Charles married on 29 Oct 1837 and lived in Digbeth St acc. to the 1841 census. Charles is...
  5. I

Hi Polly. Thanks again for all the Dodson family information. I am having another go at the Quiney mystery. Is the Edward Quiney 'missing' from the 1841 census Cheapside Quiney household the same person as the 1841 census Litchfield St Edward Quiney married to Lucy (nee Lucy Avery, widow)? If he...
  6. I

WOW! Thank you so much Polly. This has taken me several hours to get my head around. Researching the Dodson family was a brilliant idea (I didn't think of that). Finding out that they were neighbours with the Quineys in Cheapside clinches the fact that my Edward Quiney IS the Cheapside Edward...
  7. I

Have just seen this. Thanks Mike. A similar situation arose for Edward Quiney in Melbourne in 1869. See attached, notice is at the top of the column.
  8. I

Thank you MIke. It's all coming together. I'm going back to my original idea that the Edward Quiney of my story IS the the Edward from the Cheapside Quineys. Polly's great research on the Dodson family (Edward married the daughter Martha) shows that they also lived on Cheapside from (perhaps)...
  9. I

Hi Polly - this information is really helpful. I think this is definitely our Edward and Martha.I couldn't find them in the 1851 census or in White's so well done! Looks like Alice the daughter died. Sad that Edward lost first his daughter and then his wife. Not unusual in those days I suppose...
  10. I

Yes - I agree Alberta. If he is the Edward Quiney of the Cheapside, Deritend family (1841 census), the older brothers of which are also listed as brass founders, is it possible he could have set up his own business (Fancy Toy Maker) by the age of 19? I suppose so. The Australian records show...
  11. I

Mike - I think you might have solved a riddle. I now think 'my' Edward Quiney has nothing to do with the Cheapside Quiney family from the 1841 census. His profile in Australia always suggested a middle-class background, education and opportunities in life that the son of a brass founder and...
  12. I

Hi Janice - I think the first burial record could be of the 1841 census 13-year old Edward Quiney's grandfather? The second Edward you found seems to be the same one Mike found (see post 53). An Edward Quiney - metal dealer Litchfield St in the 1841 and 1845 directory. Who would have thought...
  13. I

Thank you again Polly. I think this would be the same William Quiney. Age fits. 1841 census 21. 1845 Burial record age 25. Area fits as well. Not far from 1841 census listed residence in Cheapside, Deritend.
  14. I

Thanks Polly - definitely the same Raymond Quiney. How very sad.
  15. I

OK Brummie Sleuths - here's the next instalment of the story of Thomas Odams. When he came to Australia in 1857 on the Algiers, he travelled with Edward and Martha (nee Dodson) Quiney. Martha died on the voyage from consumption. William Arundel (who bought the Wellington Rd bakery from...
  16. I

Thank you Janice. You have no idea how much the second photo looks like photos of late 19th/ early 20th century Adelaide - looking down King William (yes we were very patriotic) Road.
  17. I

Thank you again Phil. In Adelaide, magnificent homes like these were built on the terraces (eg, East Terrace, South Terrace etc) that faced parklands. They were subsequently (say in the 1950s) turned into boarding houses and student digs, but with gentrification, often restored to their former...
  18. I

Thanks Mike. You're amazing. Comparing the photo and the map I can see that the display windows of the shops in the photo are represented on the map by little extensions. I think this means that No 24 as identified by you would have been on the opposite side of the street to where the car is parked.
  19. I

Thanks again Phil. The shop two doors down could well have been the bakery! The Varna Rd pic is great. Looking from Bensall Heath Rd intersection down Varna St to Calthorpe Park. The Odams' house at 69 was on the right only a few doors from the park. Ian
  20. I

Thanks Retired Layabout Phil (sounds like me!). It looks like all the buildings were empty. Was the area being readied for demolition to make way for the motorway?
Back