• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Paul Higgins

New library.

I knew there was something familiar- something I couldn't quite put my finger on- but the picture of the floor inside made me realise- it was designed with a spirograph!
  2. Paul Higgins

Erdington

Vivienne14, if I remember correctly, they used to hold discos/dances up there and I'm sure I went to an engagement party and a wedding reception there- in fact, the more I look at the picture, the more convinced I am it is the upstairs room.
  3. Paul Higgins

Erdington

Vivienne14 and jude; could it be the bar/function room they had upstairs? It is somehow familiar to me, the steps in particular.
  4. Paul Higgins

Tyburn House Entertainment

Re: Cyril Happy memories indeed, Brian.
  5. Paul Higgins

New library.

Always nice to help, always nice to be appreciated; thanks, folks.
  6. Paul Higgins

New library.

A request to Birmingham City Council elicited this reply from Terry Perkins, reproduced with his kind permission- Paul Thank you for your interest in the new Library of Birmingham project. The aluminium frieze is 900 mm (3 feet) from the face of the glass facade Building Maintenance Units (2...
  7. Paul Higgins

New library.

well, I ain't so keen on the Rotunda, either!
  8. Paul Higgins

New library.

Frothy, nothing personal at all. I agree, perhaps the logic of my argument is we should all be living in wattle a daub huts- or caves! It's just I'm an old fart and remember Brum in the 60's and 70's; the buildings were architectural masterpieces, demolished for what I see as COMPARATIVE...
  9. Paul Higgins

New library.

It's not so much the new buildings- though I am not keen on this thing(!) but the destruction of historic buildings to locate them I do not like. If you lived in Tamworth, you'd know what I mean!
  10. Paul Higgins

New library.

"The delicate metal filigree, which will wrap around the new Library, was fixed to the glazed exterior facing out onto Birmingham’s Centenary Square." So there you have it; the Brillo Pad is metal; aluminium, to be precise "the overlapping aluminium rings will extend across the building from...
  11. Paul Higgins

Where's my google bookmarks gone and the rest of the bar???????

Charlie, right click the menu bar and you should have a list of available toolbars. Just select the ones you want. Some toolbars are third party and you may have to download and install them, if they are not on the list already.
  12. Paul Higgins

Saltley & Alum Rock

Just had a look at the site before bath and work! Read the first page and have saved it in my bookmarks to take a look at the links later- and for future reference. ¡Viva la Revoluçion!
  13. Paul Higgins

Saltley & Alum Rock

Sorry about the delay replying- been busy and also broke my collar bone! 1957- I was born there, at 37 Cranby Street but mom and dad got a house off the council on the Pype hayes estate the year I was born.
  14. Paul Higgins

pub in Cuckoo Road Aston

I concur with Wendy. Any scrap of information, however mundane it may appear to you; however insignificant it might seem now; however many times it may be reported elsewhere, these snippets and full-fledged articles of information keep the site going. They contribute to the sum of knowledge the...
  15. Paul Higgins

Castle Bromwich

Because it was so important it would have halted construction?
  16. Paul Higgins

Beaufort Cinema Ward End / Washwood Heath

I can still see them.
  17. Paul Higgins

Beaufort Cinema Ward End / Washwood Heath

Found this here- https://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924000946685/cu31924000946685_djvu.txt BUFFALO PUPPY CAKES The Great Bone Maker, 10/- per i cwt. Case, Carriage Paid, and CLARKE'S BUFFALO TERRIER CAhES are recommended where a change of diet is required. This here-...
  18. Paul Higgins

please please

Here's another slightly improved (I think!) image.
  19. Paul Higgins

please please

Here are of my three efforts. While I have pretty good technical skills, my artistic abilities leave a lot to be desired; the problem with damaged features, such as dad’s nose is some artistic ability is required to do a good job; it is also very subjective and only you know what dad’s nose...
  20. Paul Higgins

please please

I cant see the photo- have you uploaded it?
Back