• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

Rudders and Payne fire

Hello Newbie, As I said in an earlier quote the fire was I am sure 1952 but more likely to be 1953. The Chalks I do remember as my Mother worked cleaning the offices at Rudders and Paynes, and as you said they lived in the house opposite the offices. Been in their house many a time for a cup of...
  2. D

Rudders and Payne fire

Hello Pauline, sorry been some time since we last communicated been busy organising our holiday, will be away all of March. Yes I do remember the Southalls, if I remember correctly their eldest was Gerald, then Yvonne and I think there was a younger daughter if so can't remember her name. Myself...
  3. D

Rudders and Payne fire

Hi Pauline, I do remember you, you also I believe had a brother named Alan. Yes the old Astoria picture house, the projector was behind the actual screen and not in-front. It was Franky Lymon he sang with a group called the teenagers, he died age just 25 from heroin. I also saw a show of Carol...
  4. D

Rudders and Payne fire

Hello Pauline, Been very busy this last week, yes of course it was Swifts shop, remember it well. Is Green you married name if so believe I may have known you when we were younger. Yes I did my paper round for about 3yrs with Gregory's, I really liked him and Mrs Gregory. Do you also remember...
  5. D

Rudders and Payne fire

Yes I did go to St Marys School but only for One year, for some reason my parents moved me to Upper Thomas Street school. I did know Roger Hammond for my sins, did you also know Ken Hale his father owned the fishing tackle shop in Dartmouth Street until the early 60s. In Hubert Street I was...
  6. D

Rudders and Payne fire

Hello Alan: The car company Beacon Motors was next door to Rudders and Paynes wood yard, what happened was that the flames from the wood yard either got to close to the roof of the workshop or actually set fire to the roof, it was one or the other.
  7. D

Rudders and Payne fire

Hello Alan: The car company Beacon Motors was next door to Rudders and Paynes wood yard, what happened was that the flames from the wood yard either got to close to the roof of the workshop or actually set fire to the roof, it was one or the other.
  8. D

Rudders and Payne fire

Hello all who read this short brief, I lived at 2/28 Chester Street from when I was born in 1946 until 1965.I do remember the fire at Rudders and Paynes very well I do believe it was in 1953, but remember my father telling me I of another fire in the late 40's. We to were evacuated because of...
Back