• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. D

Destroyed Adoption Records

My daughter came to us via the care system. We were long term foster parents, and although we were once very far along the adoption route for various reasons it did not happen. My daughter always had contact with her birth mother who unfortunately died in her 40’s. The one thing that struck me...
  2. D

Rivers : Forgotten Streams or Brooks of Birmingham

The brook your talking about runs underneath Witon Lodge Road, and although the area is regenerated . The houses mainly Dovedale Road, and Maxted Road the brook runs yards from the back of their gardens. Although foliage now covers the banks, and it’s very hard to see the brook. From under...
  3. D

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

Apparently someone told me if your coming from the direction of College Road, and carry on into Perry Barr pass the Greyhound stadium you can now turn right there, and go into Perry Barr one stop. Why on earth they took down the flyover I have no idea, not sure what it achieved. Everyone I...
  4. D

Kingstanding

Years ago I think it was David who sent me a message via friends united. Although I never really knew him. How strange my late sister was 12 years older than me also.
  5. D

Kingstanding

I’m 74, and I’m not sure which son I remember by name. However, but looking back at your posts I know almost exactly where they lived in Cranbourne road. They lived about 4 doors up from the local bookie.
  6. D

Kingstanding

A family in Cranbourne Road I believed was called Parry in the 60’s . Unusual name, but the family was there in the 50’s and 60’s so I guess not who your looking for.
  7. D

Any idea about mines

Well this is really interesting, and really none is alive, that knows about the mine. I did know that she was in service, and that again is another story which appears to be true regarding my great grandmother giving birth to my grandmother, and somehow being in the workhouse for years.
  8. D

Any idea about mines

Ages ago I was sent part of my Family Tree. My second cousin had been researching, and one of cousins posted a photo copy of it. I must admit did not study it hard, but today on looking at it in more detail. My great grandmother born roughly 1847, but married in 1882 at the age of 31 which...
  9. D

King`s Rise School Peckham Road

I was in the other end of the building of Kings Rise the girls part. September 1958 to December 1962. 15 in the October working January 1963 or it may have been the end of December 1962. No long Christmas breaks then . I used to go home for my lunch lived in Cranbourne Road. Looking back I often...
  10. D

Weather: Winter snow 1967/68 or 1968/69

What winter snow 1967/1968 or 1968/1969 stopped the buses running? I have been racking my brain to see what winter the snow was so bad that when I came off night duty my bus managed to get to Perry Barr, and could not go any further, and I had to walk home from there to Kingstanding. Looking...
  11. D

Grammar schools and comprehensives in Birmingham in the 50s and 60s.

The question asked is over 10 years old, and I would say academically not going to either Grammar or Comprehensive school, but a Secondary Modern school leaving with zero qualifications of any sort did impact me for many years in my career . Education was not the only reason for me leaving at...
  12. D

The lamppost outside where I was born

The lamppost outside of my childhood home in Cranbourne Road holds some fond memories, and also of my Mum finally getting mad, and telling the kids to go down their end of the street, and play. Often the lamppost was used for wickets in a game of cricket, and accounted for our window being...
  13. D

Witton Cemetery Sections1 and 5

Just to let everyone who posted I did finally find the grave, another friend of my friend remembered what row it was in . Thank you all for your input Diane
  14. D

Grammar schools and comprehensives in Birmingham in the 50s and 60s.

I failed the second part of my 11 plus, and so no Grammar school for me, and neither was the opportunity for a Comprehensive education simply because I lived the wrong side of Kingstanding Road. I have written before my about my ability to read extremely well from a young age, but had no idea...
  15. D

Never mind the date, what day is it.

Good Afternoon at least it stopped raining lol. I am an extreme lightweight with alcohol.Once when I was 16 many moons ago I was offered Sherry at a office Christmas party. 3 small glasses later, and I sang my way onto the Soho road wrapped in a very large Christmas Garland, my singing continued...
  16. D

Kingstanding Police Station - Kingstanding Road.

I think there were plans to close Kingstanding police station, but I guess they are on hold. The billiard hall appeared to be serving food, and drink outside a few months ago when I passed by. Hewards what a blast from the past. Sorry to see it go, you could always get something you needed...
  17. D

Birmingham Christmas of the past

I’m almost 74, so thinking back to my childhood and even in my teens, we always put up Christmas paper chains across the living room at one time we made them, and later we went posh, and brought them. The centre ceiling light seem to be the focal point to start or maybe to finish, but four...
  18. D

Weather : Thunderstorms

My mother had a irrational fear of thunderstorms. So when it thundered she went into the cloakroom under the stairs , smoked a zillion cigarettes. Dad had to open the backdoor to allow a thunderbolt it we had one to pass down the chimney, and out through the back door. This was when we had a...
Back