• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Shortie

Bristol Road

One for Mike here, please, if you can. I am looking for the whereabouts of No 120 Bristol Road. I have a 1913 map, I can find a house called 'The Corinthians' but I am unclear as to the number. 120 was the home of a Birmingham Architect and Builder, Thomas Naden, whose daughter Constance...
  2. Shortie

Identifying address assistance please

I have three entries, a marriage certificate, a burial and a 1911 census form, all giving the same address, can someone identify where it was please? I have also seen the electoral register which gives another slant to it, and so I am rather puzzled. 1910 burial - Canal Cottages, Gravelly...
  3. Shortie

George Humphreys, wire weaver

In the 1881 census, George Humphreys was a master wire weaver, employing two men and one lad. Is he listed in Kelly's please, as I would like to know where he worked from? I find it hard to imagine he worked from home, which at that time was a back to back in Moseley Street. It is possible...
  4. Shortie

Moseley Street, Digbeth

Can anyone tell me where No 26 Moseley Street was please? There are one or two old houses (sadly converted) still in existence but none where I need them to be. I am doing a family history for someone as a Christmas present (he has some information, but could not finish it in time as I have...
  5. Shortie

Sabin and Stockley, Wine Merchants

Can anyone tell me where the premises of Sabin and Stockley were please, in 1892. Shortie
  6. Shortie

Graham St School

In 1861 there was a residential school in Graham Street in the Jewellery Quarter. Can anyone tell me what exactly it was please? Thanks Shortie
  7. Shortie

Arthur Street, Small Heath

Does anyone have photos of the above street please, at any time when the old buildings were there? Doing the family history of my future son-in-law, who hardly knew his father, and this is where his father lived as a child. Shortie
  8. Shortie

Joseph Albert Wells, Butcher and haulier

The two occupations above don't seem to me to go together, but that is what the 1911 census tells the occupation of Joseph Albert Wells was. In 1911 he was living at 61 Albert Road, Aston. Would someone be able to tell me where the business was run from, and when it ceased to be, please...
  9. Shortie

Grosvenor Street West

I think this is one for Mike, if he would be so kind. I would like to know just where on the map 111 Grosvenor Street West was. Apparently the house was large, and in the cellar there were some brick-built structures that my aunt thinks might be to do with the fact that it could have been a...
  10. Shortie

Reading Alfred Wilmot ...Electoral Roll look up please

In 1911, Alfred Wilmot Reading and his wife Jane were living in Tennant Street. I would be interested to know where he was living around the 1950's or late 1940's please. He died in 1970, his wife in 1960. It is possible that his sister in law Lizzie was living with them also. Thanks Shortie
  11. Shortie

F H Manley & Sons, Photographer

Can anyone tell me what years photographers F H Manley & Sons were trading at Coventry Road, Hay Mills please. From the look of the photo (not in my possession) the clothing looks about WW1 style.
  12. Shortie

Liberty's

I am not sure if this was a shop or just a warehouse, but Liberty's of London was in Birmingham earlier in the 1900's. Can anyone tell me where it was please? I am given to understand New Street. I have found out today that one of my family worked there.
  13. Shortie

Deciphering help please

I have received a death certificate with an address on that sounds odd to me. The address is Private Road, West Heath, but I am sure there was not a road named Private, so I am assuming I have read it incorrectly. I thought I had attached the certificate to this posting, but will get it right...
  14. Shortie

Percy Wells

Is there a company of any kind under the name of Percy Wells, around in the 1930's please? I suspect he may be connected to the jewellery trade, but not sure.
  15. Shortie

Map assistance please if possible

Does anyone have either a map with Streetly Lane, Sutton Colfield on it, or access to an online map, for the 1920's please? I am looking for a house called Bracken Brae on Streetly Lane. This was my grandfather's cousins's house, but I doubt he even knew his cousin!
  16. Shortie

Pheasey Estate

I have received a letter today from an acquaintance in Birmingham, whose aunt has just gone into a home in Somerset. Her aunt, who seems to have recently been diagnosed with dementia, has told her that the house at Pheasey in which she lived (which she owned) was used by the American Army...
  17. Shortie

George Rose

I have found a burial of a George Rose which I believe is one of my Roses. The burial records do not give a contact name, nor a proper address, however, in 1891 George was living in Sherlock Street, a widower, with a widowed daughter. The burial records state this man lived at Hay ...
  18. Shortie

Elizabeth Rose, sweet shop keeper

Can someone tell me if the sweet shop at No 18, Coleshill Street is listed as such - I was wondering if it was a case of sweets sold from a house, or a proper retail establishment. Husband George Rose was a painter and glazier. Thanks Shortie
  19. Shortie

Britannia Metal Manufacturers

Is there a company listed under the name of Scragg please in White's? I have a faamily member who described himself as BM manufacturer, but wondered if he did indeed work for himself or not. He was not short of money, so he may have had a small business.
  20. Shortie

St Bartholomews (Masshouse Lane) Burials

Does anyone know if there is a particular 'rule' with regard to burials in churches. For instance, my family who lived in Cardigan Street, off Curzon Street all married (the girls anyway) at Aston Parish Church, yet St Bartholomews was only a few hundred yards away. I am presuming this is...
Back