• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

The Two Hands, The Packhorse, The Cheshire Cat and The Harlequin - Shard End!

I lived in shard end early 60,s.Married Tony Coley ( deceased)....I had my wedding reception at the Cat pub .1965....I remember Valerie and Harry Dougard and their daughter ...also Rene Hall and family.Anyone remember Albert and Liz Coley from Pencroft Road.....??
  2. S

Conybere street in 1959.

thank you .....phil
  3. S

Conybere street in 1959.

Hi .can anyone tell me where william edwards yard was situated in conybere street highgate .in 1959.top middle or bottom end ??????????? Many thanks.
  4. S

Balsall Heath.

Hi kenny well what a surprise .. My maiden name was leake ...i was friends with cicely and sedella buckley...i also remember a tall fella called roy .im sure youd know him .he always wore a red jumper .we used to jive together ...and mickey o,malley..friend of michael buckley .i am in touch with...
  5. S

Kingshurst

I lived in hemlingford road in 1972.my boys went to yorkswood school...i didnt stay there long as one of the neighbours was axe happy and i had to pass his door to get out .i cant say i was ever happy there .....
  6. S

Kingshurst

I lived in hemlingford road in 1972.my boys went to yorkswood school...i didnt stay there long as one of the neighbours was axe happy and i had to pass his door to get out .i cant say i was ever happy there .....
  7. S

Birmingham Town Hall

Probably in wrong page but does anyone have a picture of upper highgate girls school ......
  8. S

Things you said when you was a kid

My gran used the call the outside drain .the snuff..
  9. S

Sanitorium Yardley Rd.

yardley green saniatrium was a t.b hospital i worked there it then became east bham chest branch and now hartlands x
  10. S

Varna Road

i used to go to mrs vaughan thomas,s house to learn what was then called "house wifery"....i attended upperhighgate girls school .a lot of .the houses in that area were used for prostitution .i knew one prossy called brenda through a friend of mine ,i asked brenda why she did what she did and...
  11. S

Once upon a time, there was a Tavern

My Sister had a good friend called Linda Cox.She frequented the tavern .had her own stool by the bar ,The night of the bomb she moved away to speak to someone when the bomb exploded .Had she been sat at the bar in her usual place she would have been killed.She escaped with shrapnel wounds...but...
  12. S

Foster Brothers Clothing Company Limited

I worked in foster brothers offices in bradford street.in the post room...around 1962....i remember a man called clive who worked in the warehouse who grabbed me one day and as i pulled away from him he had a sharp pencil in his top pocket and it stuck in my arm.a piece of lead from that pencil...
  13. S

Castle Vale

yes valeboy we were the first to move in ...the people who lived in the top right hand side flat were called dot and george the bottom right hand flat a woman called barbara and her family lived there she had twins .i cant remember the others names .i saw a tiny little boy knocked down and...
  14. S

Castle Vale

i lived in the private 3 storey flats on park lane /st mawgan close in 1968....
  15. S

Birmingham in 1960s

we used to go to the tyburn house pub to watch live groups .west end ballroom. town hall .the odeon .locarno .laura dixons to name a few .sat and sun was ton up on the bikes to stratford weir for a pint and a bag od smiths crisps .those were the days ....so looking forward to seeing other posts...
  16. S

Weoley Castle pub

hi jimbo ..i was going back to around 1976..id just split up with my husband and a friend of a friend offered me the job ...i didnt have a clue and told him so but he said ill give you a chance....i lasted one day .i was terrified .more ale went on the floor than in the glass .
  17. S

Weoley Castle pub

Re: Weoly Castle pub this pub brings back memories .it was my very first day as a barmaid ..id never done it before .and when a bloke came in and asked for a pint of snakebite .i thought he was taking the mick.
  18. S

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

mary street infants . upper highgate secondary modern girls school..... Edit. A link to Mary Street School thread is here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/mary-street-school-balsall-heath.46391/#post-575180 Edit. A link to Upper Highgate School thread is here...
  19. S

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Oh yes the dental clinic .it was barbaric the way they gassed you pulled your teeth out and dragged you to a chair to spit into a tiny sink while you were barely concious ....
  20. S

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Does anyone remember cromwell passage .it ran from upper highgate street through to moseley rd conybere st end ......we called it pros alley for obvious reasons.lol
Back