• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

Birmingham City Council - Archives Section?

Thank you for your kind offer Lyn but as I explained in my last post I have now engaged a "professional" researcher to look for the records I need, I might as well maintain this arrangement at least until he reports back with his findings. I am very conscious of the generous nature of the...
  2. S

Just a quick update on the problems associated with staffing levels at the library. My original enquiry was sent to the Birmingham City Library on July 7th, after not receiving a reply I sent a follow up email on 17th September. They have now informed me that quote "due to current staffing...
  3. S

Thank you mikejee and pjmburns(Janice), I'm beginning to understand the problem, another organisation that is giving me the cold shoulder is called the Warwickshire Records Office and their email address suggests this is another government department, does the same problem exist here as it...
  4. S

According to an old web site that I was lucky enough to find I understand that Birmingham City Council maintains a section called the Archives and Heritage Section. Is this true ? and can anyone tell me what they have to offer. I have written to them several times and have not yet had the...
  5. S

Death Certificate Details Required.

Good evening bewdley, your right on the money young lady. Edward Marklew married Susanah Lea and they had 15 children. 6th child was Charles Lea (1791-1873) followed in due course by the 11th child Hannah (1797-1860) and the 14th child John Marklew (1804 abt - 1876 abt). My tree springs from...
  6. S

Good evening ladies, tonight I have ordered from the GRO the marriage certificate for Ann Marklew and her death certificate in 1863. Australia Post is notoriously slow these days, we live about 55 kms outside Sydney and I sometimes wonder if our postman only delivers those little brown GRO...
  7. S

You girls are incredible - I am very humbled to think that you would go to so much trouble to provide assistance to someone 12,000 miles away and we have never met. If I could take you out for lunch to show my appreciation I would do it in a blink. Back to Ann Marklew. Most of what you have...
  8. S

Thank you to both Lyn and Janice for your responses and efforts. I can add that my great aunt was the fourth child born to Charles and Lea Ann and from the dates of their marriage and other children born into the family the Ann Marklew born in 1797 is not the same Ann Marklew that I am looking...
  9. S

One of my great aunts was Ann Marklew, born in 1817 in Birmingham, Warwickshire. She was baptised in 1818 in St. Martins Church. I'm reasonably sure that she died in 1876 and was buried in Witton Cemetery. In order to send for a copy of her death certificate I need to convert this burial...
  10. S

Little Kenyon Street

Good evening Astonian, what an absolute fountain of information you are, I have been reading your reply and I was hoping you might be able to review your comments on the reference to Google. I have tried the google reference you noted but can't get any recognition of the enquiry, is there a typo...
  11. S

Thank you’s for help

I would like to endorse all of the positive feedback from previous posts regarding a well deserved "thank you" to all of the volunteers that have contributed to this site. I live 12,000 miles away in Australia so without the help of people from this site my research into our family tree would...
  12. S

Little Kenyon Street

Many thanks to both Old Boy and mikejee, the second of the maps you included Mike show just how close Kenyon or Little Kenyon street is to St. Pauls Chapel. It is most probable since the parish records include this church by name and the street that Little Kenyon and Kenyon are one and the same...
  13. S

Little Kenyon Street

I have seen a few posts on the site that refer to Kenyon Street but I am looking for a street called Little Kenyon Street, it was in connection with an infant death in 1817 and I was wondering if this Little Kenyon Street was the same place as Kenyon Street. The parish burial records mention a...
  14. S

Selly Oak Hospital

I have the distinction of having been born in Selly Oak Hospital in 1943. My father was a volunteer driver with the St. Johns Ambulance Brigade and was very often driving victims of the bombing raids on Birmingham to Selly Oak Hospital and would take the opportunity to see my mother whenever he...
  15. S

Looking For Hospital/medical Records.

Thank you once more for your suggestions Carolina, I am currently drafting letters to both of the NHS departments that are referenced in the sites you mentioned. I hope to have more luck with this enquiry than in my last few efforts. Once again, thank you for your assistance.
  16. S

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply Carolina. Can you tell me who you applied to for your records. I have tried several times contacting the NHS both by email and my letter but they are very disinterested, in fact downright rude would be a better description. It makes it difficult...
  17. S

Update on the above story. I have now found from the 1939 census that my uncle was listed as a patient in Coleshill Hall Mental Deficiency Institution. He was definitely there in 1939. Has anyone any clues on how to proceed with finding any records that might relate to his time there, or what...
  18. S

Bsa Factory In Blitz

Fourth column from the left, sixth name down is Marklew. This is one of my ancestors who died when the BSA took some direct hits during a particularly heavy bombing raid. I understand he and many of his co-workers were in an air raid shelter beneath one of the main buildings when the building...
  19. S

Thank you Sue. I'm 99% certain that it must have been in the Birmingham area. I say that because the family thought he must have walked home from his first "escape" from the institution where he stayed since he didn't have any money for the bus, he never understood the concept of money so he was...
  20. S

Thank you for your comments Colin. My uncle was injured as a child when while playing with other children he fell out of a wheelbarrow in which he was being given a ride. He suffered a serious head injury and due to the families impoverished circumstances he did not receive any significant...
Back