• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. W

1930s Hygiene

i had impetigo Stitcher, it started on my lip, rather like a cold sore, i was told NOT TO TOUCH IT, but i was only three at the time(what did they expect) unforunately it spread up my face and onto my scalp causing me to have all of my beautiful curls cut off, i never saw the blue face and...
  2. W

Vellumaires Ukulele Band

During the late 40s to 50s there was a band called Troise and his Banjoliers, the reason i remember them is, while on holiday with my mum at Margate, (i would have been about 10) the band were appearing at a theatre there. My mum and i were staying in a guest house right opposite Dreamland and...
  3. W

effects of Mustard Gas

My father suffered from mustard gas poisoning, he was captured at that time and remained a pow until the end of the war, although he worked after the war, he could only do light jobs as his health was never good. unfortunately he caught TB and died in 1940 at the age of 44, i was a year old so i...
  4. W

What Did You Want To Be

I always wanted to be a cowgirl, western films went to my head, but i wanted to work at Roy and Dale Rogers ranch, i remember doing a essay competition for the chance to visit their ranch in America, i was bitterly dissapointed when i did'nt win. I was rubbish at essays anyway. This all happened...
  5. W

Boxing Day, Where is This? 3

Is it Droitwich lido, ? Jackie
  6. W

Enjoying a Joke

You lot are very sharp today, have you een eating your dinner with a knife, I like the repartee. :D:D
  7. W

The New Adventurers What a bloody eyesore

Thats a new name for a pub, have'nt heard that one before. In the place where i live we have the, Stable bar, Black Horse, the Queens, the Swan and the George, and that is on the main street, which is less than a half mile long. wonder if thats a record !!!!! I agree about your pub colours...
  8. W

Where is This? 161

Are there not to many men for it to have been wartime. I have'nt a clue where or what it is though.
  9. W

Rag Market

The very word Rag Market has just conjured up a sometime saturday afternoon walk around there with my mum, the thing that stands out most is the musty smell and the noise. I didnt realise it was still standing.
  10. W

Before and after

I have enjoyed looking at all your before and after pics, it seems to me that the fellas change less ( except for hair sometimes ) as they age, although smiles never do. :D
  11. W

Battle of Fromelles

I have just been reading about the archeological dig at the site of the battle of Fromelles, northern France, it took place in 1916. The remains of soldiers who died there have been excavated and are being interred into a military memorial ground, a few miles away. It's said that soldiers of...
  12. W

the scarab

Hi, Len, I wish my Mum was still around, i could have asked if she remembered your Mum. I do'nt know how they coped with some of the things they had to do, i do know they had to push small containers (not sure what they were called) along the tracks from one part to the other. My Mum did get...
  13. W

the scarab

My Mum May worked in the office at Aston goods, i think she was still there in 60s, she started in 1940, during the war she and the other women did a lot of the jobs the men vacated when they went to war, she stayed on at the wars end, but was transfered to the office. i think she dealt with the...
  14. W

Help please.

Hi ggjean, My son enjoys Shepherds pie made with Qourn mince, i fry onion in olive oil, add the mince and i also add a little veggie gravy granules, gives it a nicer flavour, let it simmer for a few minutes and then top with mash and a little grated cheese, serve with a selection of veg. the non...
  15. W

Yellow Cab

My clever clogs of a son has just seen my post, his comment, " very carefully i should think," Kids. Jackie. :headhit:
  16. W

Yellow Cab

I have often wondered how you take a corner in those things Wendy. Jackie
  17. W

Tinkers Farm Schools Northfield

That piece of film was brilliant, my brother Eric could very well have been amongst those boys, he was 12 when that was filmed, i on the other hand was just 1. Jackie
  18. W

Rivers : River Rea

That was an interesting journey along the river Rea, Lloyd. I was born at the back of Merrits Brook, i spent many happy hours fishing for tiddlers, jumping bashes, swinging across it on ropes hung on over hanging branches and finally falling in and getting soaking wet, and now i know it was the...
  19. W

Keep Out The Horse Road

Gosh that looked busy. I wonder when the traffic had to keep to the right, everything thing seems to be every which way on there.
  20. W

good thumper my dear friend

Hi annie, Very sorry to hear about your loss, as every one on here says, don't get down because you can always talk to us on the forum. I don't know how skype works but i'm sure someone on here will give you all the info. regards Jackie. :422:
Back