• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. G

Edwards Ellen nee Seward born 1862

I wonder if anyone else is researching Ellen Edwards nee Seward born 1863 to parents Abraham and Hannah Ashmore. Ellen married Edward William Edwards in 1883 and can be found travelling with her children to New York on a few occasion. When she was widowed she owned a shop in Emily street...
  2. G

Emily Street

Gosh everyone, that is amazing. Thank you all so very much. I didnt think there would actually be one. Ellen a widow by 1910 ran this with her daughter. She travelled back and forth to New York where her husband lived. She must have been quite a strong woman. I really appreciate everyone...
  3. G

Emily Street

Hello, I wonder if anyone knows anything about Emily Street. My great Grandmother had an off licence/grocers shop in 1910. I ive looked at the old photos on this site but couldnt find any of Emily street. Does anyone know what it would have been like? Thanks Gemma:star:
  4. G

Hanley Street

It looks like it. What a great snap shot of close 'neighbourlyness'. We dont seem to have that today.
  5. G

Hanley Street

Thank you Topsy Turvey for sending this to me.What a Lovely homely peaceful scene. Gemma
  6. G

Margaret Blake

Just to let know just got the death certificate info for Margaret Jane Blake. She died in the workhouse in 1905 aged 36 of heart failure. what a sad life she mush have had. Thanks so much ladies Gemma
  7. G

Margaret Blake

Sue-Whhy would someone want to spoil everybodys hard work on this site, it beggars belief! thanks for clearing that up. Im a bit of a dunce on the computor so I thought it was me going barmy. Ill keep checking. Ive read that link you sent me about the workhouses. Not commfortable reading...
  8. G

Margaret Blake

Thank you so much for the great workhouse information, when I have got a spare mo I am going to have a read and take it all in. I found the thread about Hospital Street but I can't get the photographs. there is just a grey rectangle in its place which is frustrating. Thank you for all the...
  9. G

Margaret Blake

Hi Lynne,Ive found William Mack in the 1891 census living as a Boarder with the Newey family in ta court at the back of 7 Buckingham St. Margarets sister Louisa Pridmore lives at the same court. I cant find William in the 1881 or 1901 census's nor a death for him.He's illusive.Gemma
  10. G

Margaret Blake

Hello Lynne, Thank you so much for looking for me. Yes I think that is Margarets death. I dont think she could have been married. Perhaps the person writing the birth certificates assumed she was married. On the 1871 census when she was in the workhouse it still has her occupation as button...
  11. G

Margaret Blake

Thankyou for this Lynn, Do you notice that in the 1901 and 1911 Census have Margaret as Margaret Blake even though on Louisas birth certificate it has her as Margaret Mack. Do you think she wasnt actually married to William Mack? Gemma
  12. G

Margaret Blake

Thank you sistersue thats helpful. If anyone does know anything about Hospital Street that would be great to hear.Gemma
  13. G

Margaret Blake

I wonder if anyone can give me any help. I am researching a Margaret Stagg who in 1868 Married a William Blake in Birmingham. At the Beginning of 1869 they had a daughter born at 7 Buckingham St. By 1871 Margaret was in Birmingham Workhouse but there is no sign of daughter Margaret Jane...
  14. G

Service Record

Thank you Colin, do you know if there is any way of finding out what these misdemeanours maybe? Gemma
  15. G

Service Record

Dear forum I wonder if any one could explain to me this statement of services for my ancester who served in the welsh regiment. What does it mean 'forfeited' on 2 occasions? Gemma
  16. G

Ada Jane Stagg Burial

No Wendy I havent. Ill give them a try. Thank you Gemma
  17. G

Ada Jane Stagg Burial

Thanks Wendy, Ive just tried Yardley and no joy. Her husband and his second wife are there but not Ada. Back to the drawing board.Perhaps she is with her parents Abraham and Hannah jane Ashmore. Her father also died in 1900. Gemma
  18. G

Stagg Family in Rowland Street

Thank you mike-g thats a shame.
  19. G

Stagg Family in Rowland Street

Hello I wondered if the people who posted in this thread are still members. I am also researching the Staggs and would like to get in touch with anyone else who is. Gemma
  20. G

Ada Jane Stagg Burial

Im trying to find the burial of Ada Jane Stagg in 1900 aged 32years. Her Address on her death certificate was Whitehall Street in Bordesley ward. Ive tried Key Hill and Warstone cemeteries but there is no trace of her there. Does anyone know what churches were around this area or cemeteries at...
Back