• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

Hall Green Technical College

Hello Peterfield - I am pretty sure that would have been him - hope he taught you well!
  2. P

Kardomah

pretty sure that’s Colmore Row with Greys behind.
  3. P

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

Anthony - hello - do you remember your Dad talking about Cyril & Pat Hayward? We saw your Dad on his last UK visit before he became ill - so much to tell you.
  4. P

Marshall & Snelgrove

my daughter bought me some last Christmas it’s lovely and brings back many memories. I worked in Livery Street and often coming into the city by bus you would see ladies carrying The black patterned bags - probably holding their sandwiches or knitting!
  5. P

Marshall & Snelgrove

During the 1950’s I was regularly sent to Marshall & Snelgrove in a chauffeur driven car to purchase a perfume called Jan Patou by Joy for my boss as a gift for his mistress. I remember the wrapping paper and packaging was a black background covered in flowers of many colours.
  6. P

Stratford Road

Hello AnnieB we lived in Baker Street in the second cottage of the court that had the entrance to St Johns Road just by the grocers shop that had a very noisy parrot. I remember having my third birthday party there and we moved to Allcroft Road on 3rd September 1939 - the day the Second World...
  7. P

Air raid shelters

Even after all these years my heart jumps whenever I hear the sound of sirens. That feeling has never gone away - even just thinking about them is upsetting.
  8. P

Air raid shelters

9. P

Garretts Green College

ENot sure if PatHayward still uses this site but I went to Garretts Green College between 1968 & 1972 to do my craft pipefitting & gas/arc welding City & Guilds. Have recently retired after fifty years in the industry. The name Hayward has haunted me all night as I am sure he was one of our...
  10. P

Hall Green Technical College

My late husband Cyril Hayward taught Engineering here in the late sixties.
  11. P

Air raid shelters

Sweaters were undone and re-knitted and lots of clothes were hand-me-downs or refashioned. Toes were cut out of sandals to last another season and tips were nailed on to the soles of shoes to make them last longer.
  12. P

Air raid shelters

I remember my cousin and myself having coats made out of army blankets by a neighbour in Formans Rd who was a dressmaker- they were very heavy and warm.
  13. P

School Clinics

My memory of the Dental Clinic at Springfield on Stratford Road follows the same as everyone else has written and it has left me with a lifelong fear of Dentists. I was about six years old in 1942 and had 5 teeth taken out after having that dreadful gas mask clamped on my face and trying to...
  14. P

Stratford Road

Those bungalows always had a fascination for me and that steep bank of grass leading up to them - they never seemed quite in keeping with the rest of Stratford Road - they had an air of mystery about them. Most Saturdays the family went to the cinema - perhaps the Rialto or the Robin Hood or...
  15. P

Stratford Road

Interestingly the wall advertising Marsh sausages is belonging to Duck’s garage.
  16. P

Stratford Road

17. P

Stratford Road

Miss Condrey was Head in my early years and she was hateful and because I was left handed she insisted my left hand was tied behind my back. Miss Dunton came later - the calm after the storm - lovely lady - gentle - wore her grey hair in a bun. There were school dinners - cooked by the...
  18. P

Stratford Road

I have. O recollection of the picture! Did Pat.Crowther play the piano whilst you were singing your hymns? Her classroom was next to the hall and Miss Woolcock’s classroom was on the other side then the reception class with that wonderful Dolls house that you could sit in. Up a few steps and...
  19. P

Stratford Road

I don’t remember Dinah but Keith rings a bell! I was at York Rd School from 1941-1947 - it was such a lovely school. The last time I saw Sylvia and her Mother was one afternoon around 1980 outside their garage when Sylvia was there on a visit so sad to hear your news. Do you remember the large...
Back