• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. devonjim

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

Is there a fashion for colourful crocheted berets, I notice my next door neighbour makes and then sells in local market.
  2. devonjim

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

Not too proud to pull on long johns and matching long sleeve top if beach walking in the winter keeps the draughts from my old bones!
  3. devonjim

Malcolm Stent

Just read on local facebook page that local comedian Malcolm Stent has recently died. https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/tributes-paid-solihull-panto-king-28830374https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/tributes-paid-solihull-panto-king-28830374
  4. devonjim

Lindegren

Anthea b 2nd quarter '43 Birmingham?
  5. devonjim

its vivienne14s birthday

Happy Birthday. Thank you for your many contributions to the forum.
  6. devonjim

computer help

And then it wanted my MS password, no-one has asked for that for years, but I surprised myself and managed to reset it, eventually!
  7. devonjim

computer help

Thanks both, it's easy to change an "English" to something else but more difficult trying to change "Chinese" to English especially when the new machine uses different logos. But I've got there! Ta!
  8. devonjim

computer help

HELP PLEASE! Just bought an Amazon Kindle on line but it "Speaks" Cantonese! The supplier e-mails me saying "it can easily be switched to English in Settings, but how? I'm not very computer literate and don't read a word of Chinese!
  9. devonjim

Moseley Kings Heath Line

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/camp-hill-line-birminghams-new-28646689?utm_source=birmingham_live_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=_newsletter&utm_content=&utm_term=&ruid=dcc7b28c-6c0f-4440-a981-3cadae2a751e Newspaper update
  10. devonjim

The Grid Project – In The Footsteps Of Phyllis…

Don't you find that someone has been in and knocked it down?
  11. devonjim

Kings Hall Market

Current Google shot shows Friends Meeting place still there, many years ago I saw, I think Tibetan Buddhists, doing a talk there.
  12. devonjim

A little row of shops

Realise that things are going full circle. Eye sight deteriorating so driving is off the menu so now walking to local shop, a Tesco, good exercise, taken to using a step counter. Suppose I shall be looking to the once a week "Ring and Ride" next!
  13. devonjim

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

We have frog's spawn.
  14. devonjim

Our childhood toys

Surprised that "search" doesn't show that someone has not extolled the joy of Subbuteo! Strictly speaking I never had a Subbuteo but the earlier version which I remember was called "Newfooty" or something very similar. Hours of enjoyment in 1950's
  15. devonjim

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

I know this is probably not the best place for this, it's just a "heads up" I spotted this morning. The travel photographer of the year exhibition is coming to NEC (is it still called that?) and I thought there would be those interested to know, anyway it's 16-19 March...
  16. devonjim

A little row of shops

I suppose all of us of a certain age grew up with the local shop concept, no car in the home, there wasn't until late 50's at best, moms needed a range of shops within bag carrying distance. My earliest locals were on the Warwick Rd at Tyseley some near to Knights Rd. the others on the corner of...
  17. devonjim

Computer Security.

My e-mail account has recently been hacked by someone in Lagos, Nigeria. My contacts received an e-mail inviting them to buy me a gift voucher. For a couple of days I received no incoming e-mails I guess they were being diverted to my new friend in Lagos, but on the plus side I have had lots of...
  18. devonjim

King Edward VI School, Five Ways 1883 - 1958

KES promote "bright" pupils from the Grammar Schools to the high school at Edgbaston. A couple of my class mates were similarly treated.
  19. devonjim

King Edward VI School Edgbaston 1936

Probably KES Edgbaston, Camp Hill head in 1950 was Tom Rogers, a Quaker so we didn't have Cadet Corps.
  20. devonjim

Blind and visually impaired workers in Birmingham's past

Remploy which started in 1940's after WW2 probably took on some of the employment of the visually disabled. There was a Remploy factory in Garretts Green for many years.
Back