• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

My first school was Nelson Street Primary and Junior school (1946-53). Then George Dixon grammar school for boys (1953-58). Edit. Link to Nelson Street Primary School thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/nelson-street-primary-school.48223/
  2. C

Lewis's Department Store

Also Blackpool.
  3. C

Lewis's Department Store

Selfridges in London belonged to Lewis's. Lewis's central buying was situated alongside Sefridges store in Duke Street.
  4. C

George Dixons Grammar School

'Polly' Worthington was the maths master.
  5. C

Christopher Bird here, I was at GD from 1953 until 1958. I was in the Normans and Mr Orrin was the housemaster. I think that the other housemasters were Mr Sandercock (Britons), Mr Trout (Danes), and it was either Dilworth or Summerton who was the Saxons housemaster. I was a rule breaker -...
  6. C

Hi Norma, Are you the Norma Pugh that used the number 3A bus to the Ivy Bush on Hagley Road? You wore your school beret on the back of your head and used to stand at the railings that separated our quads at school. You used to call me Spud, I never could reason why. I thought that you were...
  7. C

Your form master was Mr. Sandercock. I started in form 1B went up to 1A for a year then went down to 2B.
  8. C

Lewis's Department Store

Red and white was the Publicity manager's lights. calcbird
  9. C

Lewis's Department Store

Red and white was the Publicity manager's lights. calcbird
  10. C

Our maths master was 'Polly' Worthington calcbird
  11. C

Hi Janet, I started in 1953 in form 1B. The form master was Mr Wragg who taught French. I had a crush on a girl in the girl's school, her name was Norma Pugh. calcbird
  12. C

Lewis's Department Store

Hi Peter, The food hall was on the Ground Floor in 'B' block. calcbird
  13. C

Lewis's Department Store

Hi Andy, I remember your father-in-law. I was the assistant publicity manager in the Hanley (1962-64) and Liverpool (1964-68) stores. I left the Liverpool store to work for an advertising agency in the Fiji Islands. I returned to Liverpool and became the Press Production manager in Central...
Back