• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Birmingham Air Raids

It is 75 years ago this month that Birmingham's experience of the blitz started. This was a month ahead of the start of the London blitz. Although for Birmingham September was relatively quiet, things were to greatly intensify during October and November. This month there is a new book called...
  2. S

Rover factories in Birmingham

Does anyone know whether the Tyseley factory was working during WW2 (not to be confused with the No 1 shadow factory at Acocks Green)?
  3. S

Midland Red double deckers

Just to let you know that the book More Room on Top: The Midland Red BMMO D9 & D10 which has been out of print for a couple of years has just been reprinted, albeit a short run. So, if you missed out on getting your copy don't hang around this time!
  4. S

Accles & Pollock, also Bates Iron Foundry

Does anyone know on what date(s) Accles & Pollock of Oldbury was bombed in WW2? Also, what was the full company name of Bates Iron Foundry of Hospital Street, Walsall?
  5. S

Birmingham Boundaries

What Boroughs were adjacent to Birmingham in the 1930s? Other than Smethwick, West Bromwich, Sutton Coldfield and Solihull, what other boroughs bordered on Birmingham County Borough? Many thanks.
  6. S

Birmingham Corporation Gasworks

Which Birmingham district was the Adderley Street Gasworks (was it perhaps Bordesley or Deritend) and Windsor Street Gasworks? Thanks.
  7. S

Birmingham Factories in the War

I am compiling an index of factories/companies which contributed to the war effort. I need to know the correct way of presenting the following (i.e. are they co-limited or what?) 1) Masters and (or is it &?) Son of West Bromwich 2) Messenger and (&?) Sons of Greet 3) SU Carburettors A bit...
  8. S

Gec Magnet Landor Street

I believe that GEC had a factory in Birmingham producing domestic appliances under the trade name Magnet. Does anyone know where this particular GEC factory was located? It was not the Witton site.
  9. S

55th Anniversary of the opening of the M1

Midland Red was a large bus/coach operator based in Birmingham and built its own vehicles in Edgbaston. When the M1 motorway opened 55 years ago (2nd November 1959), it was known as the Birmingham-London motorway. Midland Red had designed and built an 80 mph coach which was available on day one...
  10. S

Where and when was this incident?

I want to establish whether this photograph is a post-war scene or (which I doubt) a wartime bomb incident. Identifying the age of the fire appliances should solve this.
Back