• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. L

Charles Frederick Kirby born 1854

Thanks very much for this. I think this makes the most sense. I know it's a few years after my first enquiry but your look up and reply is much appreciated.
  2. L

Gunbarrel Grinders Arms, New John street West

Thanks very much for this information. It is great to see where the pub is situated.
  3. L

Gunbarrel Grinders Arms, New John street West

Does anyone have any information about this pub 1875 onwards? I have looked for photographs/images but have found none. Wallace Winkles took over the license of this pub in 1874. That is all I know. Any information gratefully received!
  4. L

Hi - thank you Alberta and MWS- it seems I need to do a bit more research!!! I have applied for Eliza's death certificate and it looks like I need to apply for Sampson's daughter, Elizabeth's birth certificate too. Am I right in thinking most adoptions at this time would be informal? If anyone...
  5. L

Junction Inn - 123 Wheeler Street

Pollypops- I found these adverts really interesting. It does seem on evidence that the Junction Inn was a good investment and a sound business for my ancestors. They lived and worked there for a number of years and since there is no bad press either, I feel quite confident that it was a nice pub...
  6. L

I hope Wallace was not too immoral. I have noticed his son Albert was a barman on the 1891 census and they had a domestic servant, as by this time his wife Eliza had unfortunately died and his young grand daughter, my great grandmother, was living with him . I presume pubs then were run for and...
  7. L

Brilliant Mike, the maps are really useful to see where the pub was actually located. I enjoyed reading about how pubs were often used to 'keep'' dead bodies and a base for holding inquests. I was amused by the article re the inquest about the poor man killed in Deritend. It seems those...
  8. L

Bless you! Many thanks. A photo would be brilliant if one exists. I have enjoyed seeing other pubs and shops on the Wheeler st thread. The Acorn especially looks to be an interesting pub with an interesting history. I wonder why it was a mortuary? In Ireland there are quite a few pubs linked to...
  9. L

Thank you both for replies. Here was me believing my Wallace Winkles was the only one! (Apart from his son of course) It looks like Wallace's brother William also called his son Wallace too. I don't know who the Wallace Winkles the glass engraver is. There probably is a link. Thanks for the...
  10. L

Many thanks Alberta- I think I will have to try to get death certificate for Eliza. The dates are a bit out definitely. Whatever she would have been very young with a small child too. Marion is my great grandmother. She was a very old lady when I knew her and she did not speak much of her...
  11. L

I would like any information on him please. He was a gold engraver as far as I am aware. I think he may have gone to America sometime after 1882. I would also like information about his wife Eliza. I think they married in 1881? Eliza's maiden name was Winkles. I think she may have died young in...
  12. L

Wow - these are very early directories. It looks like you have tracked his career from 1862 onward, plus it is interesting to see connections via work with other Winkles relatives. I think the link into the licensed trade is telling as he would have some insight into it enough to apply for his...
  13. L

pollypops and mikejee, thank you both so much. Having a name like Wallace Winkles must be great and it does make life easier when researching them that''s for sure! Wallace Winkles is the son of John Winkles who lived on Livery Street in 1841, I think he was a hairdresser. He was also maybe, the...
  14. L

Hi pollypops- Wallace Winkles is such a fabulous name. I am filled with affection for him and so thrilled to have an ancestor with a name to remember! - Thanks very much for all the information you have found so quickly. It does fit with what I know of him. I have tried before to find out name...
  15. L

Hi there- I am new to this forum. I think my ancestor Wallace Winkles may have been a publican at 62 Wheeler Street in 1881 also on 1891 census he is at 121 and 123 Wheeler street. I wonder if then this is the same address but numbering has changed. I would love to know the name of his pub and...
Back