• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. I

my ancestors

Hiya Sue, I lived in Blockley from around 1985 - 2005. Happiest days of my life and my biggest regret is leaving there. Is it the Payne family your are researching? I have a couple of friends in Blockley and Paxford with that name
  2. I

Nechells Park Rd shops.

Sorry for the delay. I shall ask my wife, thank you so much :)
  3. I

TV Advertising Jingles (1950s-1960s).

One that is annoying me at the moment is the current advert on TV for Flash, celebrating it's 50th year. It is a new jingle/song made in old style but has never been used before - FAKE!
  4. I

Nechells Park Rd shops.

Re: nechells park rd shops Sorry everyone, it seems as though the shop was not in Nechells, but 47 Sherbourne Road, possibly Acocks Green (?)
  5. I

Nechells Park Rd shops.

Re: nechells park rd shops My wife has just asked me to try to find some information on here about her Great Grandmothers shop in Nechells. She is pretty sure she was known as "Ma" by the Jamacan population who moved into the area and her name was Maud Ford or Maud Baxter (being her married...
  6. I

Zeppelin Raid -Tipton

Colin, that is a brilliant find, thank you for sharing it.
  7. I

Elmdon Airport

This thread has had the memories flooding back! In the early 70's as a young lad, I would cycle or when dad was able to give me a lift and pick me up later, go to Elmdon Airport whenever I could. I used to live in Kingshurst and cycle to Marston Green, over the golf course to Coventry Road then...
  8. I

Record shops in Bham

I'm pretty sure the Diskery is still there and trading
  9. I

Pneumatic Cash Systems

I remember those systems in different shops in City centre. In particular, the Army & Navy store and various shoe shops where the boys/mens department were down stairs
  10. I

Marsh & Baxters, Castle Bromwich

My late father used to work as a mainainence/refridgeration engineer at Marsh & Baxters (later FMC) during the late 60's/early 70's on permanant night shift. I went there a couple of times when he was covering on a Saturday morning. The smell of amonia was horrible
  11. I

City Centre News Banner

Thank you - now, how about the winning lottery numbers for Saturday please? Seriously, thank you. I am realy pleased I posted the original question now. If anyone has anymore pictures I would love to see them
  12. I

City Centre News Banner

Sorry to be a bore, but does anyone have any pictures of the News Theatre, please?
  13. I

City Centre News Banner

Thanks for that, but I don't think it would have been Cannon Street. I remember the cry of Spatchermail too.
  14. I

City Centre News Banner

Thank you for that overwhelming vote of confidence!
  15. I

What Was The Pub's Name - Shirley

Did it become Calenders Bar or something in the 80's? It may even have been a TFI Friday's at some point too
  16. I

City Centre News Banner

Brilliant! I knew I wasn't going mad!! Thank you both
  17. I

Record shops in Bham

I used to use Cyclops, the two or three Inferno Records shops, first Virgin shop opposite the Minories in town and the first HMV in New Street. Cyclops was also the best place to buy tickets for gigs that were not at the Odeon. For anything of a rare nature, I would go to Reddingtons at the...
  18. I

City Centre News Banner

I honestly have no idea! Where abouts was it?
  19. I

City Centre News Banner

I seem to remember a news banner scrolling on a shop front or building in the City Centre, possibly at the Times Furniture end of New Street. It told everyone the latest news headlines etc. This would have been in the late 60's / early 70's. Does anyone else remember this, or is it a dream...
  20. I

Rivers: River Cole

As a kid growing up in Kingshurst in the 1960's, I remember the River Cole would "swell" and bring with it loads of furniture! It would also cover what is now the football pitches at Babbs Mill after heavy rain had collected up stream of it most winters. Only once do I remember it being frozen...
Back