• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Bob Davis

Churchill & Co Coventry Road

I think Churchill were a machine tool company, but I thought based in Coventry, does anyone remember them. Bob
  2. Bob Davis

Gravel Bank, Harborne

Behaving myself and resting as instructed, got back to the family tree, the mysteries, death and misery I have uncovered amazing, the number of children that died at or near birth and alongside that the number of mothers that seemed to accompany them. Luckily for the widowers there seemed to...
  3. Bob Davis

Davis birth

I have a poor copy of a birth certificate from 1900, showing the birth at 0610am on 2nd of January 1900 of a boy to Hannah Davis. I cannot translate the name, the journal entry is 323, reg district King's Norton. Unfortunately with my technical and AI skills, I have been unable to scan and...
  4. Bob Davis

Tablet problem

I have a laptop and a tablet. I scan onto the laptop my postcards, so that when í àm àt à postcardfair, I can check àny finds. Ì then copy the scans via a memory stick onto a notebook, which is smaller than the laptop, but ìt is cumbersome. Is theŕe a way to get scan straight to...
  5. Bob Davis

Jewellery Quarter “All that glitters” programme

Very surprised that none of the cognoscenti have commented on the new Tuesday night programme 'All That Glitters' that came from the Jewellery Quarter, from the School? that is located there. What I had not realised was that Birmingham was still such an important centre when it came to...
  6. Bob Davis

Jazz players

He also regularly came to the Town Hall with Ted Heath and his band and Lita Roza and Dennis Lotus. Those big band concerts at the Town Hall used to be excellent, Ted Heath, Jack Parnell, Vic Lewis (Playing Kenton's music), the guy who did Oranges & Lemons on the Kettle Drums, Oscar Rabin...
  7. Bob Davis

Favourite Bus

in his book Across Birmingham on the 29a, David Harvey remarks that one of the Wellhead Lane HOV Leylands was his favourite bus. Mine was 1749 HOV749 a regular on the 5a/7 bus route, regularly crewed by a delightful Irish conductress. Question for the ex bus drivers/conductors and...
  8. Bob Davis

Durows

I had a previous post on this name, but one evening recently gently wandering through the forum, I came across Kellys entries. On chance I put in Durows and came up with Francis William Durows my great grandfather being a shop owner at 145 Grosvenor Street West. In the 1881 census, although...
  9. Bob Davis

Durows Henry

Henry Durows was born about 1809 (according to IGI). He died in 1854, this is recorded both IGI and Freebmd. He married a lady called Jane (from Worcestershire) and they had a number of children, only the last one born after his death is recorded in Freebmd. His wedding is not in Freebmd...
Back