• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. H

Soho Foundry

Where did you obtain these very interesting photos.having worked at Soho for 46 years I have never seen these before Have you any more gems? J H
  2. H

Electric Trams

My uncle was a tram driver and later inspector.there was a long standing joke in the family that he was some how involved in this matter. He was Charles Jones Regards John Hughes
  3. H

Great barr hall

What is the latest on Great Barr Hall.I have been told its Status has been down graded? Regards John HUGHES
  4. H

Tram Conductor

Hello Tanya I have Francis James Burford on my Family Tree on Ancestry He was a Great Uncle of my wife Dorothy Brookes Regards John Hughes
  5. H

Kings Heath.. 192/69 Anti Aircraft Brigade

Where is the picture?
  6. H

National Service

No the Glouchesters epic battle took place in April 1951,I dd not arrive until Aug 1952. I had the honour of walking up the site of their stand at hill 235.the ground was covered with the spent ammo Being in the REME I was lucky not to fire my rifle in anger. The only action I saw was a trip to...
  7. H

National Service

I was in the REM attached to the Royal Signals just south of the IMJIN river from Aug 1952 t0 1953 I even played in their Football Team Happy Days John Hughes
  8. H

Avery Retired Employees Association

Hello Astonian It is still on the same site very much reduced for manufacturing It is now called Avery Weigh-Tronic a off shoot of the American company based in Minnesota USA have a look on Google I would have known Bill Smart having worked there for 46 years in the early days I would take my...
  9. H

Avery Retired Employees Association

Sad to say that after some 25 years this club is closing down on 31 May. We used to meet every 2 weeks at the old Neetlefolds sports ground in Thimble Mill Rd. Age and illness have caught up with us.The present chairman can not continue and no replacement is available.most of the members are...
  10. H

Wedding Photo August 1936 in Northfield.

What a cracking photo JH
  11. H

One For The Blue Noses

I stood there at Aston Villa around 1944 aged 14 Jh
  12. H

Moseley Road Baths

Re: Moseley Swiming Baths Open Day Sad to say what is the use of keeping this building.it is never going to be used for anything Time to pull it down I swam there in 1943 but just retain what ever memories you may have Regards John Hughes
  13. H

Durows

Hello Bob My relation to Francis according to Ancestry he was my Paternal grand father of wife of nephew of husband of first cousin 1x removed if you could access ancestry there are 12 family trees featuring the Durows I have photos of Emily Durows 1880,Lilan May Davis 1913,William Henry Dorows...
  14. H

Memorial to Romany Gypsies at Black Patch Park

Charlie Chaplin's son Unveiled Memorial to Romany Gypsies at Black patch Park.It is situated on a bridge over Hockley Brook inside the park.a foot path from Woodburn Rd takes you direct to the bridge.a steel fence protects the memorial.most of the entry's to the park have been blocked off Regards Jh
  15. H

Durows

I have Francis W Durows b 1852.wife Emily Mary Doody b 1855 on my tree.Francis is on the trade directories 1884 and 1888 plater at back of 25 Grosvenor St.He is said to be plater of Coach Harness He was in Lunatic Asylum in 1911 ,Kings Norton Dying there in 1915 J Hughes
  16. H

Help Please: Lunatic Asylum, Fordrough ?Lane.

Do a Google search.this throws up several possobilities Jh
  17. H

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

We had a similar device but as i recall it was operated by rotating a handle mounted on top.it was fairly effective but passed out of fashion Regards J H
  18. H

The Chapel at Handsworth Cemetery

Brian many thanks for your sugestion .I have no complaints about the Handsworth staff.they have replied to my E mails and i have met them face to facebut the bottom line is work is still going on inside the chapel and I will not be allowed in.I note some £700,000 was allocated for repairs Cheers J H
  19. H

The Chapel at Handsworth Cemetery

For over 12 months I have been trying to look inside the Chapel researching an Ancestor George Harold Faragher a soldier who died in 1919 I keep being told it is not ready to open.A vast amount has been spent on repairs but it is not open to the public.Just what is going on Regards J Hughes
  20. H

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

as a youg lad my father took me top the Austin Motor Co to see a boxing event.Randolph was on the bill fighting as a amateur a very promising fighter.much to the suprise of the spectators he was knocked out. I was told later he had been knocked out at his place of work in a accident some days...
Back