• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. F

Ionic Plating Works

Hi Paul, sorry I wouldn't have known tom ketteridge....thanks for posting tho...any info or stories about Ionic are welcome. frankf
  2. F

What about Sloopys?

Anyone remember Sloopys in corporation st? 1970's? Went there lots and have loads of good memories. Also remember Rebecca's and Barbarella's very well and the Cedar. Went to the Castaways in Bradford st a few times later on but that wasn't so hot....not many mentions of it on here.
  3. F

the cedar club

I remember Red Line also, my father in law was a cabbie for them for a few years.
  4. F

Ionic Plating Works

Hi Freddy, many thanks for your post - I know its took a long time to post back but I'd forgotten about this site! Great to hear tha you remember my dad - Tom Flynn - if you have any more memories of him or about Ionic I'd love to hear them. Great to hear that these were some of the...
  5. F

Ionic Plating Works

Hi there, thanks for your reply, fascinating stuff about life inside the plating works. I originally posted the request for info as my dad worked at Ionic during those years and became works director. I was a young 10 yr old at the time you went there for your summer job, but as I grew older I...
  6. F

Co-op high st bham

Hi Chris, many thanks for those pics, I recognise Alan from the goods deck - If anyone has any more - please put them up, they're fascinating. Reading the description of the subway was very nostalgic and I didnt realise there was a sub tunnel beneath! So many names in that list! - I remember...
  7. F

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hi Silve, yes it was a little small, but when you're young and enjoying yourself none of that mattered I think - I loved it there. I remember the seating area up on the left opposite the bar and yes, you're right - its a shame there arent places like that now - or maybe there is? Take care...
  8. F

Co-op high st bham

Hi - I'm still looking for pics of the co-op in the 1970's - esp interiors of the big top side, but any would be good. Ive managed to find 2 -3 of the exterior taken in the high st but would love to see more. Anyone got any ideas? Much appreciated. Thanks Frank
  9. F

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

What about Sloopys on Corporation St on the corner with Dalton St? I loved that place - went there a lot in the seventies. There is a pic of it in one of those 'Birmingham in the seventies' books. Anyone else remember it?
  10. F

Nechells Park Rd shops.

Re: nechells park rd shops Hi - I'd have to check with my cousins who lived there but I'm sure it was in the same row as the one featured in the pic in that earlier post. Will confirm location. Frank f
  11. F

Ionic Plating Works

Hi - anyone remember Ionic plating company? It was in Heath Street Smethwick up until the late 70's. Would love to hear from anyone who worked there between 1955- 1975. Frank
  12. F

Nechells Park Rd shops.

Re: nechells park rd shops Hi - my uncle and aunt ran a newspaper, sweets and tobacco shop in that row of shops from the 1950's to the 1990's - called O'Flynn's. Anyone remember it? I used to visit occasionally with my Dad and it was magical to me - going behind the scenes in a sweet shop...
  13. F

Co-op high st bham

Hi Chris, I didnt realise it was Mervyn Manley who helped modernised it. Did the electrical dept carry on in the High st after Domec opened - or was it closed? Does anyone remember Mick Lavery who worked in the bedding dept on the first floor? Frank
  14. F

Co-op high st bham

Some of used to go to the Outrigger pub after work and occasional lunchtimes for our dinner - does anyone remember it? It was next to Moor st station - Its pulled down now of course, but is was done out like a ship and had three 'decks' - a few from the coop went over there I remember. Would...
  15. F

Co-op high st bham

Hi Shady, yes - Domec was in fact, the coop electrical dept - but in 'Comet' store style which was just getting established then. Yes it was on the Warwick rd almost opposite cousins.
  16. F

Co-op high st bham

Hi Chris - yes - I had an idea it was in the basement somewhere - I remember it now. We rarely went over to the main canteen and just snacked etc in the basement canteen. Frank
  17. F

Co-op high st bham

Hi dwilly, yes i saw that there was a show on - unfortunately I cant make that but would be interested in seeing any material that may be published / released on here etc. I am particularly interested in the big top site in the high street. Frank
  18. F

Co-op high st bham

Hi HAzel, sorry I dont remember your mum, but I'm could have met her on some occasion - although I must say I didn't frequent the food hall very often! Hi Shady - if you remember those guys maybe you were around at the same time - which dept did u work in? Chris - do you remember where the...
  19. F

Co-op high st bham

Hi Chris, I realise where Castle st passage was now, I used to use it many times coming in from Moor st station or some lunchtimes. The staff entrance as you will no doubt recall, was at the end of the arcade, through the glass doors and up the stairs or in the lift - the public could also...
  20. F

Co-op high st bham

Hi Chris, amazing! some of those names you mentioned, I'd long forgotten about. I remember Mervyn Manly from Whitmore rd - did he become store manager then? I remember their department invented and designed the very first anti theft device for stores - a closed electrical loop system - a...
Back