• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

Birmingham Jazz Alive & Well

..sorry I'm a bit late with this, Our Kid...been otherwise engaged....our jazz club website and other promotional work I do for them takes up more time that I expected but loving doing it...I agree with all you say about Kiera...she's sensible to have a university education alongside her...
  2. S

KIERA...WHAT A TALENT! CHECK FOR YOURSELF. CLICK BELOW https://youtu.be/vEDB4RyJyI0 The above link connects to a You Tube. latest 'original ' song called 'Foolish' by Walmley teenager Kiera, a lovely local young lady who has the talent, training and desire to make it as professional singer...
  3. S

George Huxley's All Stars: A master class in reeds by an enduring talent There can be few words or phrases left in the parlance of jazz to describe evergreen Huxley's six-decade love affair with jazz in general, and reeds instruments in particular. Lacking, as I do, the necessary musical...
  4. S

February 17: MYSTO'SHOT LIPS 'Reminders of party-time singalongs...' Swedish band, butthis was no smorgasbord of Scandinavian musical dishes...full Englishbreakfast and a trip to McDonald's more like. While billingthemselves as playing 'revivalist jazz 'at its best with memories ofChris...
  5. S

JAZZAHOLICS 'An intoxicating brew' Recently I enjoyed seeing the multi-acclaimed Digby Fairweather - top small band in the British Jazz Awards for the last nine or ten years - at a Jazz week-end in Torquay and jolly good they were, too. They could be regarded as setting the standard for...
  6. S

GOLDEN OLDIE GEORGE STILL PULLING'EM IN... Back when the so-called Trad Jazz Revival was in full swing in the mid-1950s, a young clarinet player named Geoge Huxley was starting to make a name for himself in the clubs and bars in and around Birmingham. Over the years that 'name' that he was...
  7. S

NEW ORLEANS HEAT HOTTER THAN EVER It wasn't only the glittering pre-Xmas fairy lights that added to the party atmosphere pervading the splendid and well-populated Walmley Club for our latest Wednesday night gig. The band, (surely among UK's finest?) stoked up the tempo and the temperature, too...
  8. S

..Oh! gosh, Norfolk Brummie....thanks! A bit lumpy-in-the-throaty that ( as Stanley Unwin would have said). Re-funny remarks, the band leader Kevin Grenfell trotted out the old chestnut that dancing is a vertical expression of horizontal desire...it did make me wonder whether some old fashioned...
  9. S

'It's not what you play, it's the way that you play'em!' "You can't beat the old songs.." is a favourite catch-phrase of we vintage romantics and, though possibly mocked by younger generations, is actually a tried and tested truth as illustrated by Kevin Grenfell and his Jazz Giants to an...
  10. S

Songstress Sheila Gives Phoenix the Fawkes Factor Very few bands on the Uk circuit can match Phoenix in claiming their own travelling songstress... and SHEILA FAWKES is certainly a significant asset to them, not only for her enjoyable vocals but also for her lively personality and visible...
  11. S

Millennium Eagle 'Spicy with a dash of humour' By cherry-picking titles from a wide and diverse set of sources the Eagles gave Sutton Coldfield Trad Jazz Club an equally wide and diverse programme of entertainment spiced up here and there with a welcome dash of humour at The Walmley Club. On...
  12. S

October 21: Sutton Coldfield Trad Jazz Club @ The Walmley Club: Baby Jools' Jazzaholics How the show went on: 'It's what Russ Bennett would have wanted.' The atmosphere before the music began felt a little like a case of 'The Show Must Go On'. A popular friend and respected colleague of...
  13. S

SHEER JAZZ MAGIC... Bill Smith...trumpeter, vocalist and harmonica to tingle the spine. Wonderful...superb...excellent: these were the superlatives to be heard at Savannah's latest visit to Sutton Coldfield Trad Jazz Club , but this was not the Wednesday Nighters praising the band. It was...
  14. S

Doc's Danish Tasties Beat the Big Bake-Off On the night that the final of The Great British Bake Off was screened those of us who chose live jazz ahead of televised cake-making were treated to a whole showcase of Danish Tasties at Sutton Coldfield Trad Jazz Club's Wednesday night gig. There were...
  15. S

..thanks for your lovely comments, Eddie. Not so sure about the amount of knowledge but, yes, I do love being there. Hope you enjoyed your sentimental journey back home...dear old Brum changed a bit, eh? I don't o in myself these days...regards...Dennis
  16. S

Pedigree Jazz Band (Tribute to Trad) The Marstons Brewery-sponsored band adhered strictly to their 'Tribute to Trad' theme with a tuneful trawl through the repertoires of the Acker Bilk, Chris Barber, Kenny Ball, Ken Colyer, & the other early post-war set of revivalists who put New...
  17. S

A Jazz-in with Chicago Teddy Bears While all of the bands at our Wednesday night jazz-ins are worth double the entrance fee, some have that extra-special ingredient best described as 'personality-plus'. On their latest of many visits, the Teddy Bears, smartly turned out in matching tuxedos...
  18. S

September 9: Rich Bennett Band Without carrying out an organised poll, this would be impossible to confirm, but the impression left by the Rich Bennett Band's latest visit is that despite enforced personnel changes over the last year or so they remain right up there among the hottest favourites...
  19. S

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

Great story...Eddie. I've already repeated it on more than one occasion...except that I inadvertently left out the towel and made it even better...offend anyone? Only the Victorian vicar's wife, circa 1885!!!!!! (and that would have been prompted by suppressed envy...!)
  20. S

Giving Whirligig's Gig a Whirl On Washington Whirligig's first visit to SCTJC, leader David Hepworth began with complimentary comments about The Walmley Club... and well before their debut gig was over the feeling was entirely mutual. Although comparitively new, having been launched three...
Back