• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. H

Harborne Railway

Oh I see! If it was city road then the loco would probably have been one of the Mitchells and Butlers locomotives that were used for shunting goods wagons round their brewery at Cape Hill. Can you remember if the locomotive was a tender or tank engine? On another note, here's some more pictures...
  2. H

Harborne Railway

That's right, it closed on 4th November 1963 and the last railtour to run on the line was two days before that. Do you remember seeing any trains on there?
  3. H

Harborne Railway

That's a nice shot, one of the only ones I've seen of that station in colour. By the 1950's there were only three freight trains a day according to disused railways, one in the morning, afternoon and evening. It's a shame that the line isn't open any more.
  4. H

Snow Hill Clock - Platform 7

I've heard that before, and although I didn't get to experience either station back in the 1950's or 60's, I can see from old pictures that Snow Hill had better facilities. It should be considered that that incarnation of Snow Hill had opened in 1912 so the station wasn't that old, whereas New...
  5. H

Snow Hill Station

I hadn't heard of the railcar being referred to as the bluebird before. They used to run to Dudley via Old Hill and Blowers Green and were nicknamed the Dudley dodgers. There was also the Blue Pullman which was an express diesel unit that ran from Paddington to Wolverhampton Low Level.
  6. H

Harborne Railway

That's a good map, Malvernian. Even today you can still just about make out the mound which marks the site of the island platform. When you say "still working", do you mean that you can remember the line when it was operational?
  7. H

Stechford - The Village

I see what you mean, the church and some of the terraced houses look similar today. Thanks for sharing that picture.
  8. H

Harborne Railway

That's true, it was one of the reasons why people stopped using the passenger service. Regarding the M&B branch, the cutting it ran through has been filled in, although you can obviously still walk through the site of the triangle junction where the exchange sidings were located.
  9. H

Jaguar cars

It's a shame that the Browns Lane plant closed, the company is doing quite well with its new range of models, and they are looking to build a new plant in Poland.
  10. H

Sutton Coldfield to Stirling Motorail Car Sleeper

Thanks for the gen, it's a shame that the service is gone, but it probably wasn't profitable, and cars nowadays are generally more reliable, so there'd be less need for its return.
  11. H

Car Marques, Figureheads And Badges

Aye that's right, they decided to change it in '45 because of the war.
  12. H

Stirchley Station - Request For Information

Hi, the trackbed of the Harborne Branch Line is now used as a footpath, not many relics left but it has been cleaned up so there's not as much litter now. https://www.flickr.com/photos/106910975@N06/12388007813/in/photolist-pZw6hx-pH8H35-pzBioM-jSFM8B-jV6RM6-jV6TZx Here are some pics of Hagley...
  13. H

Birmingham's Image And Status

There were plenty of great pics in that article.
  14. H

a day at the races bromford

That was quite a strange decision of BR's, rather short sighted. I didn't know that Beyer Garrett's were used here, although one was used as the Lickey Banker for a very short period of time. There was also a tube manufacturing works here which was rail served. I better go back on topic...
  15. H

a day at the races bromford

I enjoyed reading the article about the racecourses across the Country that have closed down, including Bromford Bridge.
  16. H

New Street Station 1967

I had a nose on that site, good shots they are. This link is slightly more direct... https://www.mirrorpix.com/?77747130448317740800
  17. H

Harborne

Funny you should say that, I forgot about the Bell! Bishop's croft and Harborne Hall are still in use (the hall providing temp accommodation last year for Harborne primary), as is the Bell Inn. It's still a nice part of Harborne with St Peter's and the other old buildings but I don't go there...
  18. H

NewSt Station 2015

You've got some nice memories to look back on! From what I've seen, the Old Snow Hill appeared to be a nicer station than the old New Street, it's good that both stations are open today.
  19. H

NewSt Station 2015

I've seen pics of the old place and I wouldn't mind going back in time to see it properly! Did you ever visit the old Snow Hill often and if so, which station did you prefer out of the two?
  20. H

Harborne

I forgot the Vine but considered mentioning the White Swan/ DD, as you say it ain't too far.
Back