• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

Holidays spent in Wales as a child.

Dad mentioned that during the war a bomb landed in the garden near your house, he thinks it might have been the next house along. Do you know anything about that?
  2. J

May and Les Chapman (49 Holte Road) with Martha Brueton
  3. J

My dad used to fix shoes in their shed at 49. Dad remembers the watches too.
  4. J

Dad recognises the name, he knew your family, how wonderful!
  5. J

Here’s a photo of May and Les Chapman from 49 Holte Road with Martha (Donovan) Brueton
  6. J

Yep, fantastic aren’t they. Dad says when they went on those early trips they were the only ones in the street that went camping. Clearly it was a trend to catch on
  7. J

What were your parents names Jean?
  8. J

Here are some more for you, one from the same camping trip of Harold and little Rosie Brueton with their parents Martha and Fred (also of Holte Road) and my Dad Dennis (the young boy). the other photo is of Fred on his motorbike with Rosie and my Dad outside number 49 Holte Road. These camping...
  9. J

Here’s a couple of snaps taken in just such a holiday. This is my dad Dennis Chapman (49 Holte Road) having a wash with his Uncle Sonny Price, I believe on holiday in Llandudno. The old army tents and camping stuff were transported by lorry and the family travelled by motorbike and sidecar to...
  10. J

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Here are a series of photos taken during the late 1930s of the Station Road School Football Team and Deykin Avenue School football and cricket teams. My father, Dennis Chapman (of 49 Holte Road) is back right in the Station Road photo, second left in the Deykin Avenue School 1938-40 football...
  11. J

Morris & Howes Sweet Shop Park Rd Aston

There was a grocers on the corner, there was a newspaper shop and radio shop opposite. Not too far away was a Drs, the Post Office and Corn Store (pet shop), plus an ice place where you went to get ice to make ice cream in the days before you could freeze you own ice.
  12. J

It cost my parents about £1500 to buy in about 1957-58. They bought it through a company based in Corporation Street.
  13. J

My mother and father Dennis and Olwyn Chapman bought the sweet shop at 107 and I was born there in 1961. Not sure if they purchase it in 1955 but certainly they were there soon after. I'd love to see photos if anyone has any.
Back