• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. farmerdave

Birmingham & Midland Institute Events

In my distant memory I remember being taken to the Birmingham and Midland Institute in the 1950s to a Conversazione. I believe that this was held annually, around January, and was a demonstration of arts and science to visitors. A school report, from Alcester Grammar School, gives a flavour of...
  2. farmerdave

Battle of Loos

This week marks the centenary of the Battle of Loos in Northern France. It commenced on September 25th 1915 and ran on for 2-3 weeks although it was at its most intensive for the first 3 days. Generally now regarded as a disaster, there were between 50,000 and 60,000 British casualties (dead...
  3. farmerdave

School trips from Brum.

My first school trip to an area outside Birmingham was in 1958 to Kew Gardens. This would have been from Camp Hill GS, Kings Heath, and 33 of us were on the trip. I guess that this would have been before the M1 was built as I have recorded in my diary that we went via Stratford-upon-Avon...
  4. farmerdave

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Visiting W H Smith at a number of locations in the south-east over recent weeks I have noticed that there are now literally dozens of colouring books on sale for so-called anti-stress art therapy. These books have a range of intricate patterns, flowers, leaves etc. which one has to spend time...
  5. farmerdave

John Lewis Birmingham

Vivienne14's super high-resolution photograph of Birmingham (thread Birmingham Panoramic) showed a John Lewis building in the foreground. I hadn't realised that there was a John Lewis in Birmingham but a look on the internet shows that it does not open until 24th September this year. It...
  6. farmerdave

Presents for the teacher

Saw this sign today outside a shop in Surrey, advertising presents for school teachers. I have to admit that when I left Camp Hill GS in 1961 that I did buy book tokens for the Maths, Physics and Chemistry teachers. They had guided me successfully through "A" levels and I wanted to show my...
  7. farmerdave

Lloyds Bank

Lloyds Bank began as Taylors and Lloyds in Birmingham in 1765. The Bank was established by Sampson Lloyd, a Quaker and iron founder, and John Taylor, a Unitarian and cabinet maker, along with their sons. For the first 100 years the bank operated with just one office in Birmingham. However, in...
  8. farmerdave

F. Whitfield & Co. Safe and door manufacturers.

Bought this brass plate today for £10 which advertises F. Whitfield & Co, Safe and Door manufacturers , Birmingham. A summary of the company , firstly S. Whitfield & Son, Oxford Street, Birmingham can be viewed in the attached link. Dave...
  9. farmerdave

Felicity Jones (Actress)

Felicity Jones's photograph appeared on the front page of The Times this morning. She has been Oscar nominated for Best Actress for her portrayal of the wife of the physicist Stephen Hawking in the film "The Theory of Everything". Felicity Jones was born in Bournville, Birmingham in October 1983...
  10. farmerdave

PRICE Water Heaters.

Found this advert in a 1950s cartoon book. PRICE Water Heaters were located at 195-196 Bradford Street, which I believe is at the top end. Their electric immersion heaters were based on a new principle If you are really hot on heaters, I would be glad to know what this principle was. Otherwise...
  11. farmerdave

John Bentley (Actor)

John Bentley (1916-2009) was born in Sparkhill and attended King Edwards Camp Hill Grammar School. He was an actor famous for appearing in 3 Paul Temple films (1948-1952), the TV jungle adventure series, African Patrol (1957), and as Hugh Mortimer in Crossroads in the 1970's. He played alongside...
  12. farmerdave

Chess matches in Birmingham

On 11th January 1964 the Russian Chess Grandmaster and World Champion 1960/61, Mikhail Tal, visited Birmingham. He played a simultaneous chess match against 20 of the best players in the Birmingham area. The event was held in the concert room of the Birmingham and Midland Institute. In...
Back