• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. farmerdave

Greys Department Store

Is that a Lyons Tea Room towards the far left? White building and name largely obscured by a road sign. Dave.
  2. farmerdave

It's Lyn's (Astoness) birthday

Happy birthday Lyn. Have a great day
  3. farmerdave

King Edwards Grammar School Camp Hill

A few years later we were being taught, by the same teacher, about the Napoleonic Wars. I have to say that I found it very interesting and did quite well at "O" Level history. I, personally, did not experience any bullying or sarcasm in this context. I missed out on the Punic Wars, perhaps just...
  4. farmerdave

Coach Trip to Weston Super Mare

Weston-super-Mare in 1959, or card received that year, and I was there. However, didn't go by coach but cycled there. It was in April and the Easter Holidays. Went with a friend starting in Hall Green and had two stops down, Cheltenham and Bristol YHAs. Then 3 days in Weston. Saw a film...
  5. farmerdave

RIP DENNIS WILLIAMS

I was also at KEGS Camp Hill, joining that happy throng a year later than Dennis. Always enjoyed his vivid stories of first day at school and the mischief he and his class-mates would deploy on any teacher that showed signs of weakness. Certainly wouldn't have happened with D I Thomas the...
  6. farmerdave

Railway Journeys

He is on at 6-30 pm on BBC2 this evening, Wednesday, with some time being spent in Moseley. He also visits the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon.
  7. farmerdave

happy 80th to richard dye

Happy Birthday Richard. Have a great day.
  8. farmerdave

Chess matches in Birmingham

R. Challis also appears in the 1959 Camp Hill Prize Giving Programme as an endowed prize winner in both mathematics and science. Accept that Mr Brown (woodwork) did help to run the chess club but I just don't remember him in that role. Different subject: I'm getting an irritating pop-up advert...
  9. farmerdave

Hi David. Managed to find the 1959 Camp Hill prize giving programme. School captain for chess for 1958/9 was R Challis. House Championships for chess in 58/59 were in the order Beaufort, Howard, Tudor, Seymour. The presentation of certificates was by Alderman Eric Mole who became Lord Mayor of...
  10. farmerdave

Hi David. Can't help on Lee and Robertson. I must have left Camp Hill 5 years before them and I don't recall any very young players in the chess teams. Dave.
  11. farmerdave

Howard House (Camp Hill) also won the house championship for chess in the 1959/60 season. Order slightly different at Howard, Seymour, Beaufort and Tudor. There were two chess teams of six for playing against other schools. I usually played in the second team but sometimes in the first. Matches...
  12. farmerdave

Hi David, Just a couple of things for now and I will search for more info later. Howard House (Camp Hill) did win the championship for chess in 1961. The order was Howard, Beaufort, Seymour, Tudor. J.D. Mount, Derek, was the Captain. I thought he left school in 1961, the same time as me. He went...
  13. farmerdave

Hi Dave, Glad to hear that you're interested in the chess history at King Edward's Camp Hill. I should point out that I left Camp Hill in 1961, some 62 years ago, so any memories would be very fuzzy. What years did you attend? You could put any general questions here and I could assess whether...
  14. farmerdave

Camp Hill

I had a wide choice of buses to get me from Camp Hill back to Hall Green. Apart from the 37 there was also the 32 to Sarehole Road or Hall Green Parade. The 29A could also take me to Sarehole Mill and then a short walk down Sarehole Road. A 31A would also go to the Stratford Road end of Sarehole...
  15. farmerdave

MERRY CHRISTMAS BHF 2022

Hope to visit Birmingham at least once in 2023. Nearest this year was Stratford-upon-Avon. A healthy and happy Christmas and New Year to you all from deepest Surrey. Dave.
  16. farmerdave

Moseley Road Baths

First time I had heard of a manager's flat and boardroom at Moseley Baths. To me, the weekly visit to the baths for Camp Hill pupils was something to be endured rather than enjoyed. I didn't once leave the shallow end and only tentatively learned to swim several years after I left school. I kept...
  17. farmerdave

Birmingham "Mother of shams"

The term "Brummagem" also had two meanings: 1) referring to Birmingham or the dialect of English spoken there and 2) Brummagem ware consisting of cheap and shoddy imitations particularly when referring to mass produced goods. I think the latter was more used in the nineteenth century. Dave.
  18. farmerdave

Its Astoness’s (Lyn) birthday

Glad to hear that you are having a very enjoyable birthday. Best wishes. Dave.
  19. farmerdave

Old street pics..

The present road sign approaching the Stratford Road - Cole Bank Road junction indicates A34 to City Centre straight on: Kings Heath and Stirchley to the left on B4146: and Acocks Green and Yardley to the right on B4146 (A4040). These are far more local destinations compared to Walsall, Dudley...
  20. farmerdave

Its Alberta’s birthday

Hope you have a great birthday Alberta.
Back