• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

Sewage farms

I remember seeing the sewage train at Water Orton Lane, Minworth as late as 1964, although I have a feeling that the engine had been replaced by diesel at that time. At the very extent of my memory, when Kingsbury Road was a single carriageway, I recall that the railway line crossed the road...
  2. M

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Those are clearer Gruchy, but I still don't recognise a soul. I'll try to scan and post the 1938 photo over the next few days. I can provide a handful of names of faces with that.
  3. M

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

That's a very welcome photo Gruchy, but it would be even better if we could have it at higher resolution. You may be able to reduce the file size by converting from colour (which is unnecessary) to greyscale. Also, JPG files can be compressed from 100% accuracy to say 80% without noticeable loss...
  4. M

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

That's a wonderful old photo. It pre-dates the building of the dining room extension and classrooms.
  5. M

Mother's Club Carlton Club Ballroom Erdington

Mothers as a club name opened on Friday 9th August 1968. The opening performance was by Duke Sonny.
  6. M

Mother's Club Carlton Club Ballroom Erdington

I'd like to share a story while I'm still around to tell it, but there is a language warning for those of a sensitive disposition. Firstly, it was a rite of passage at school on your 16th birthday to overstate your age and sign up for a Mothers membership card. Some of the guys even managed it...
  7. M

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Bernview, thanks for posting up your photo, which looks down along the course of Orphanage Road. It took me a while to realise what that object in the immediate foreground is: it is of course the top of the safety railings around the top of the tower. In 1964 I was in Yenton class 4.1, and I...
Back