• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. A Sparks

Heritage Open Days September 2022

A list of places open around Birmingham in September 2022. For other places in the Midlands, use the search function...
  2. A Sparks

Bruce Chatwin travel writer and journalist 1940 - 1989

I found out today quite by chance that Bruce Chatwin, whose best known book is probably In Patagonia, comes from a family with Birmingham connections and who lived in Birmingham and the Midlands during his early life, although he was born in Sheffield which was his mother's home city. I...
  3. A Sparks

Key to the City event 28th May until 10th July 2022

I have just seen this, posted on another forum.... https://www.keytothecitybrum.org/get-involved Anyone heard anything about it? Sounds rather intriguing!
  4. A Sparks

If Handsworth was a Postcard...

I came across these three videos compiled by Joceline Glai on YouTube. They are a mix of old postcards of roads and areas of Handsworth with film of the current (2020) area shown and she includes some history and comments. I think she has done a great job and thought it would be good to share...
  5. A Sparks

Tupper and Co, Galvanised Iron Makers, Berkley Street

I have just found out about this company with a connection to Birmingham by chance when I was looking for some information about a tin church in the London Borough of Hackney where I live. The church was constructed in 1858 from corrugated iron and is still standing! The company, Tupper and Co...
  6. A Sparks

Getting Logged Out

Just in the last few weeks I keep getting logged out of the website every time I close the window, despite ticking the 'keep logged in' box. Any idea why this might be happening? It is my work computer but it doesn't happen with another forum I use. Thanks.
  7. A Sparks

Crowthers Boutique

Does anyone remember Crowthers boutique in New Street (sorry if it's been mentioned anywhere else before)? I think it was in the corner building that used to be the Kardomah occupying the ground floor and the basement area. They had quite unusual clothes (ladies fashions), alot of maxi style things.
Back