• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. T

Birmingham Town Hall

Went to the Town Hall often in the late 1950's to see greats of Jazz etc Stan Kenton , Dutch Swing College.
  2. T

Fleur-de-Lys pies

Was looking through this site recalling memories of pies though the wall and the English countryside I left when coming to Australia in 1961. Two things suprisedly Cheers jumped out me;- The owners of the pub were Nick and Emma, same na mes as our grandson and his partner. A fellow member lives...
  3. T

Lewis's Department Store

Well said !
  4. T

Dale End

That's where I remember them around 1950 when I was kitted out when I join our troop at St Agatha's church Sparkbrook.
  5. T

Dale End

Think these are what I remember as Vienese Sausages which I thought were over flavoured and didn't like. I was only a very young child so am suprised that I have a taste memory. Cheers
  6. T

Dale End

If they were real Pork sausages ! Not like the rubbish they sell these days ! Keep saying it's my taste buds failing but ....
  7. T

Dale End

During the War I was a young child and Mom used to sometimes take me with her to her work running the canteen at a factory making shell cases. One day we were walking past Marsh & Baxters and joined the queue for 2lb of Pork sausages. By the time we made it into the shop it was called out that...
  8. T

Great Hampton Street

When I worked at Guest Keen and Nettlefolds, Heath St H/O in the 50's our office furniture was made by Frederick Restall & Co. It had all the cubby holes for every thing at hand and were made with oak and as solid as a brick dunny ( as we say in Aust.). There were two pull out extension shelves...
  9. T

Birmingham Cinemas

Well that's a suprise! The Cherubs was my idea. We were trying to come up with something for a banner to put on the scooters to advertise our presence at rallies etc. I suggested Cherubs as a sort of pun on us being a small version of Hells Angels ! Another member was into something in...
  10. T

Ex Pats and Brummies abroad

Stay safe ! Not many of our vintage around!
  11. T

11 Plus Exams

I failed the 11plus. I was supposed to go to Waverley Rd Grammer School where I sat the exam. I turned up for the exam and I freaked out at the the very thought of having to go there if I passed. The place just filled me with dread. As I was a pretty good student it came as a suprise to my...
  12. T

Cannon Hill Park

Can remember the lake being frozen in 1947 which is the coldest and longest winter I remember. Mind I left the UK in June 1963. Spent a lot of time Cannon Hill Park , a real wonderland.
  13. T

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

My family were quite involved with St Agatha's and I was during the 1950's a member of the Boy Scouts, Church Lads Brigade, Youth Club and Altar Boy. I hasten to add I was not a Goody Goody but at that time it filled a gap. It was an Anglo Catholic, Church of England and as such it was attended...
  14. T

Handsworth Technical School

One time Mr Sheldrake was talking away and I was in the front row happily designing a car which was a cross between an Aston Martin DB 2 and a Jaguar and I specified a weight of 12 cwt. I became aware of a silence as I was sprung and to everyone 's amusement he said something to the effect that...
  15. T

dance halls

Bit late with answer but it was in Walford Rd, just off Stratford Rd.
  16. T

Snow Hill Station

Hi Peg Monkey, I've mentioned somewhere before that my Mom was the managers of the Wimpy Bar in Snow Hill when it originally opened and then moved to do the same when they opened the more up market branch in Broad St. I don't think I ever went to the Snow Hill one and think I only went to the...
  17. T

Birmingham Town Hall

Vehicles say no Viv, definitely Austin A45. Sorry Tim.
  18. T

Birmingham Town Hall

Think you are pretty right Paul.
  19. T

Memories of the Avro Lancaster

Remember seeing a model of a Lancaster on Road Show ,very impressive as it was a one off, very detailed and quite large. I don't think they were able to give a valuation as it was a one off and would depend o n several factors. Anyone know anymore as I'm sort of on the sidelines regarding...
  20. T

Old street pics..

They sure take us back to earlier days Cheers Tim
Back