• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

"BIRD IN HAND" TAVERN, BATH ROW (possibly at No 47).

I have searched the site, and can see several references to pubs in Bath Row, but not to the "Bird in Hand" Tavern. It does appear on the MidlandPub site, with landlords listed in the late 19th/early 20th Century. They list it at 47, Bath Row. I have discovered it on a Christening record and on...
  2. B

George EDMUNDS of 18, Horse Fair: a really 'Bad Apple'?

Please can anyone help? I was watching this thread as George Edmunds, a distant cousin who lived in the Horse Fair in the 1830s, ended up on the Hulks, as a young man. I received a notice on Thursday that Alberta had replied to it, and that the thread had been moved to Surnames. But I cannot...
  3. B

"the Rock" Public House, Alum Rock Road.

Hello everyone, I can see that there have been discussions about the pubs on the Alum Rock Road over the years, but I cannot find any specific reference to "The Rock" pub. I understand that it was situated on the corner of Alum Rock Road & Bowyer Road. I think it may have closed in the 1960s or...
  4. B

SWORD FITTER FOR GUNS - Occupation in 1871.

I have a relative, George EDMUNDS, who working in the Gun trade in Birmingham from c1855. He was variously described as a Gun Maker and Gun Smith, until the 1871 Census. He then appeared, living in Summer Street, described as a "Sword Fitter for Guns". His 15 year-old son, Henry George, was...
  5. B

Help Please: Lunatic Asylum, Fordrough ?Lane.

I have an ancestor, George EDMUNDS, born in Exeter Row in 1828, who was sentenced to Transportation in July 1849, but served his sentence instead on the Hulks and in the terrifying new prisons at Milbank and Pentonville. Upon release, he returned home, married and found work in the Birmingham...
  6. B

Greater Birmingham Churches in the 1750s.

Here is a real teaser. There were a fair number of C of E Churches in Birmingham, Aston, King's Norton and surrounding areas in the 1750s. Most of these have their Parish Records on line. But please, can anyone tell me if there are any which are NOT viewable online? I am looking for a Marriage...
  7. B

Molesworth Oliver

I have one of my many MOLESWORTH family strands, living in King's Heath in the early 19th Century. An Oliver MOLESWORTH (one of several in my family and born in Coughton, Warwickshire in c1793) married Elizabeth JAMES (born in Sambourne) in St Martin's in February 1812. Oliver was a Shoemaker...
  8. B

Marriage licences for birmingham area - not certificates or parish records.

I have read about this subject on other postings in this and other areas of the Forum, but I wonder if anyone can help me with a current position on this please. I know that for all 'Warwickshire' bits of Birmingham, old Marriage Licences appear in the Bonds and Allegations held in Lichfield...
  9. B

Two teenaged STEEL PEN "GLAZIER"s:- Please can anyone help me identify the trade?

In the 1851 Birmingham Census, my relative Thomas BROOMFIELD was a Master Baker living at 24, Pigott Street, St Thomas. In the household were his 2 teenaged step-daughters, Ann and Betsey. Their trade is described as "STEEL PEN GLAZIER". I am pretty sure of the final word, though I am open to...
  10. B

Studio Of Frank Scott & Co Of 17, Bennett's Hill.

I am in the process of documenting a wonderful collection of old family photos of my Brummie family, but have 2 which I cannot identify. I would be very grateful for any help anyone can give me about the studios, which may assist in narrowing my options. The 2 pics are of an elderly couple...
  11. B

Annie 'Nance' MORRIS and the Boys Home she founded: Can You Help Identify It Please?

I have a distant relative, born Annie MORRIS in Birmingham in early 1877. Her parents were Benjamin and Emma MORRIS. Annie's family moved to Shrewsbury for a while and then returned, and Annie worked in the Jewellery trade as a young woman and lived in Wheeler Street. After 1901, the family...
  12. B

MOLESWORTH Edwin from Birmingham: Served 6 months in Warwick House of Correction.

I have discovered a small but select band of 'old lags' amongst my MOLESWORTH ancestors from Birmingham, including Joseph who was transported. My most recent discovery is Edwin MOLESWORTH, son of Oliver and Sarah, Christened in St Martin's in 1809. He is a 1st cousin 4x removed, his Grandfather...
  13. B

Very grateful for Warstone Lane L/U please - EVANS and DANIELS.

Hi there, I would be very grateful if someone could do a L/U for me in Warstone Lane Cemetery records. I live in Devon, and only get up to Brum occasionally. A Victorian cousin, Elizabeth DANIELS nee MOLESWORTH formerly EVANS appears to have died in April to June 1891, in Birmingham. I am sure...
  14. B

Burials for Inmates of the Worcester County Lunatic Asylum, Powick.

This post is not unlike Shortie's of last August under the heading 'Asylum/Hospital at Bromsgrove', but the question is a little different. It relates to burials at the Worcester County Pauper and Lunatic Asylum, Powick, Worcestershire. I know this is not quite Birmingham, but as so many parts...
  15. B

HÉBERT Paul Marie Jean Francois and HÉBERT Frances Mary nee JAMES

One of my mother's Birmingham family lines was JAMES. They arrived in Birmingham from Worcester in about 1835. My Great Grandfather's younger brother Frank JAMES took over his father's Hairdressing shop in Congreve Street in about 1880. Later he reverted to his original profession of...
  16. B

Oliver MOLESWORTH: Apprenticed to Mark DIXON, Bucklemaker, 1732.

My 5xGreat Grandfather, Oliver MOLESWORTH was born in Coughton, Warwickshire prob in early 1722, but I have found lots of info about him in Birmingham in his later years; he married 3 times, including once in St Philips and once in Aston Juxta. Most of his children were Christened at the New...
  17. B

Death in Meiktila, Burma, in 1903 - The King's (Liverpool Regiment).

I have been researching the quite tragic story of one of my maternal relatives, a young Aston-born lad called Elvino CLOWES (descended from the old Warwickshire MOLESWORTH family). Elvino's parents moved themselves & their large family down to London in the late 1890s and promptly died. Elvino...
  18. B

Where did all the bodies go......? St Thomas, Bath Row and the Old Meeting House esp.

I would be so grateful if anyone can help with a hugely frustrating question, to which I know I have seen the answer....but was it in a book, on line, in my Friends of Key Hill Cemetery literature or where? When the Old Meeting House & its Graveyard were sold to the Railway at the end of the...
  19. B

Edward JAMES, Prisoner in Weedon Beck Military Prison in 1861.

The older brother of my Great Grandfather was Edward JAMES, born above his father George's hairdressing shop at 4 Congreve Street, Birmingham on 3 December 1841. He appears on the 1851 Census at the same address, aged 9. His mother was Elizabeth nee MOLESWORTH, and he had 6 siblings. George...
  20. B

Assistant Secretary GMCA 1901

One of my ancestors (one of my 'Twigs' as my Husband calls them as they are not absolutely direct!), called Alfred Thomas RILEY b1874 in Aston is on the 1901 Census as a Visitor in the home of his married sister in Acocks Green. His job is described as Assistant Secretary GMCA, which has been...
Back