• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

"BIRD IN HAND" TAVERN, BATH ROW (possibly at No 47).

That looks VERY likely Janice, as all the landlords listed in the Pubs guide were from the 1890s onwards until 1915, so that would be AFTER the re-numbering. Also, when Thomas & Harriet's first child was Ch in 1858, they gave Chequers Walk as their abode.
  2. B

Thank you Janice, that is brilliant.
  3. B

And yes, I was looking at marriages, as Harriet is not there as GOLD in 1871, nor as a death. Again, this really makes sense. Thank you so much.
  4. B

Love it! .... the stout servant girl!
  5. B

Yes, I have seen that with other lines, and it would make sense here. And tho I don't yet know what Thomas died of, I suspect TB, so if they knew he was ill, they might have arranged a contingency to support Harriet & their daughters.
  6. B

That is also really interesting, and suggests the info on the Pubs site is totally wrong. It sounds as though the GOLDs may have started it. Was this in directories?
  7. B

Ah, that is really interesting Mike. Thanks. Thomas lived with his parents at No 9 in 1851, his father died shortly afterwards, and in 1861, Thomas and Harriet lived in Bath Terrace. He still appears as a Jeweller there. I have also found 47 listed as a Beer House, but another family seem to...
  8. B

I have searched the site, and can see several references to pubs in Bath Row, but not to the "Bird in Hand" Tavern. It does appear on the MidlandPub site, with landlords listed in the late 19th/early 20th Century. They list it at 47, Bath Row. I have discovered it on a Christening record and on...
  9. B

Congreve Street

Thank you Mike, that is really useful to know. It obviously became necessary to move, but Congreve Street suited them, so they found a new address. J
  10. B

Congreve Street

I think you could well be correct. You might also be interested to see the attached pictures. I found them in my Mum's archives, and by a process of elimination, I was able to identify them as George and his wife Elizabeth. She was born MOLESWORTH, a well-known Birmingham family ~ but not the...
  11. B

Congreve Street

Wow Mike, that is amazing! Many thanks. Yes, he does appear in the directories a number of times. I have found a pretty continuous thread with them and with the Census returns.
  12. B

Congreve Street

These pictures are really exciting. My 2 x Great Grandfather, George James, ran a Hairdresser and Perfumier at 4, Congreve Street from the spring of 1840 until the 1870s, and then at 37, Congreve Street (perhaps the same building, renumbered) until about mid 1880. He raised a family over the shop.
  13. B

George EDMUNDS of 18, Horse Fair: a really 'Bad Apple'?

Hi Alberta, Yes, I realised it was an admin thing. Trouble is, I do not have the original thread, or what I put in it, though I DO have the URL to follow to the replies. One was by ladylinda on 21 11 12, at 21.32, and one by sistersue61 on the same date at 23.07. The URL is...
  14. B

Yes, thanks, I have posted about poor old George a couple of times, but this is another posting, with the title I note above.
  15. B

Please can anyone help? I was watching this thread as George Edmunds, a distant cousin who lived in the Horse Fair in the 1830s, ended up on the Hulks, as a young man. I received a notice on Thursday that Alberta had replied to it, and that the thread had been moved to Surnames. But I cannot...
  16. B

Black ornament maker

Hi Ron, Have you noticed that when Mike (mikejee) commented on my post back in 2010, he listed Black Ornament Makers in Brum, and amongst them was: Tongue Samuel, 105½ (back of) Great Hampton street. Might he have been related to your Elizabeth? If not her Dad, then an uncle or cousin...
  17. B

Tom Abley, Footballer 1903-1914 (avfc 1905-1907).

Yes, I had really feared it might turn out to be TB when I read that he had to leave Cardiff City, due to poor health. And yes, I am sure you are correct, that Emily Jane died of the same thing. I also suspect that their daughter, Keturah Emily, who died in 1926, may also have died of TB. And...
  18. B

Thank you Pedro. It is a poignant memorial to both men isn't it. J
  19. B

As promised, here is the content of Tom ABLEY's Death Certificate. It is rather as I feared. Tom ABLEY died on 29 May 1914, at 71, Leckwith Road, Cardiff, aged 26 years. His occupation on the Death Certificate is 'Professional Footballer'. The cause of death was 1. Pulmonary Consumption and 2...
  20. B

Yes, the description of Tom as a Labourer, but employed by Cardiff City FC in 1911, is one of the puzzles that I had at the beginning of this Post. Pedro, writing above, suggested that this was because the Census requires the writer to provide their PRIMARY job, and he was not fully...
Back