• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. K

Old street pics..

2. K

Gower Street Boys and Girls Schools

The school building on the corner of Guildford Street and Gower Street housed infants and juniors until the late 1930s when buildings housing mixed senior boys and girls were demolished. The boys then went to Gower Street Senior boys, the building which still stands with a roof top playground...
  3. K

Lucas Great Hampton Street works

I worked GHS 1962/68. Top floor typing pool, the guys in the computer room used to wear covers over their shoes. The girls working the punch card machines were very glamorous, the entrance to the staff canteen was opposite your glass computer room . Do you remember the suggestion box we used...
  4. K

George Dixons Grammar School

Hello ladies, can either of you identify any of the teachers in the attached photo, which was taken inn1946. I can recognise Miss Bund, Miss Curry, Miss Saul, Miss Player.
  5. K

Bats theme

How can I stop the annoying bats, distracting me, I can't cope with them.
  6. K

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

the photo you posted is not the same Lozells picture House that was bombed in WW2. Your posted photo is of the original Lozells Picture Palace/House situated opposite William Streeet and next door to the Co-op and a few doors from the Bank on the corner of Lozells Road and Birchfield Road...
  7. K

Interesting your comments about your treatment at GD I left the girls school in1962, my experience was very similar. The Headmistress one, Violet A Organ MA, was only interested in girls whose parents were professionals, even though a large percentage of the girls came from working class...
  8. K

Keith Berry's Photos (bhf Recovered)

Attachment #2 Old Birmingham Page 2, photo number 20 is not Terrace Road with its junction with Soho Hill and Hamstead Road it is WREATHAM ROAD.
  9. K

Keith Berry's Photos (bhf Recovered)

Attachment #4 Picture 28 taken by Keith Berry incorrectly states houses awaiting demolition Carlyle Road, it is HARTING ROAD, which runs from Lozells Road to Carlyle Road.
  10. K

It was called Robinsons, on the corner of Lozells Road and James Street. I do believe they had two shops, one each end of Lozells Road, I can only recall the one you describe.
  11. K

Ha! ha! ha! you can see the plan of the house where I was born on this map, thank you.
  12. K

No Crowder and Browns was a Car Sales and a petrol station further down Lozells Road.
  13. K

The shop was called Cowdrills and it was in Barker Street, very close to its junction with Lozells Road.
  14. K

Hello, sorry if I am late to the party but following Lozells thread and I have just seen a photo posted on this site, of maybe the front gardens of the cottages you mention, almost opposite Berners Street and posted by Vivienne14 on 6th April 2019. As a child in the 1950s I remember the area...
  15. K

I have been on this site for years, and am disappointed so few girls have responded. I attended GD Grammar for Girls, 1957 1962.
  16. K

I recall Miss Whitehead doing English literature, did she not go on to be Headmistress at Lordsword Girls. Mrs Ventnor I think her name was, down in the basement art room sitting at her potters wheel. I too enjoyed watching the boys from KEFWs playing rugby outside the Music Room. Who could...
  17. K

Norton's of Key Hill

Thanks for sharing your family portrait. My Mother was a customer of Nortons for years and years. Clothes, shoes, curtain material, bed linen, occasional furniture. It all came from Nortons. When we went posh changing from a carpet square and lino to fitted carpet in the late 1960s it came...
  18. K

Midland Railway Carriage & Wagon Co

One of my husbands ancesters was a works policeman at the Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon Works according to the 1911 Census, I wonder if it was him. He previously had been in the Grenadier Guards.
Back