• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. norfolk brummie

The Age Of Innocence Has Left The Station.

I have always said the media, mainly now TV and computers, are wonderful innovations that have completely changed our lives, and created a world where we can now see, and enjoy, many wonderful things. Sadly, like all scientific and mechanical advances in helping the world, these easy to obtain...
  2. norfolk brummie

Ken Dodd

At last!! A Knighthood for one of our greatest comedians. I worked with 'Doddy' in the sixties. Never the same act two nights running. Arise, Sir "Diddy Doddy". Well deserved, and thanks for all your years of making us laugh, and feel happy. Eddie
  3. norfolk brummie

Computer Hacking.

I am a little confused. The British government has announced that it is seeking computer hacking experts, to work for the government, and assist in keeping the United Kingdoms National Security systems safe. They have also stated that experts in this field are few, and far between. Why then...
  4. norfolk brummie

Tv.........homes Under The Hammer

A website on this Forum, is currently referring to the sad sight of homeless people in our big cities, with the focus, naturally, on Birmingham. The TV media has a show on most days of the week called Homes Under The Hammer. The programme illustrates, quite clearly, the mental approach, the...
  5. norfolk brummie

Aberfan Disaster

On the day of the terrible disaster in Aberfan, I was actually in Cardiff & Newport for the day. I did not go any where near Aberfan on that day, although everyone was aware of the terrible event. I had to drive that way two or three weeks after the horrific event, and witnessed the awful...
  6. norfolk brummie

Tv Sub-titles

Although my wife has better hearing than I, there are times when we both need the TV sub-titles to be displayed at the bottom of the TV screen. It appears to be more important these days, with much unintelligible, unclear words, used by some of the speakers that appear on the screen. Even some...
  7. norfolk brummie

Curzon Street Statue

I have just read that a statue, with much controversy, has been shortlisted, for erection outside Curzon Street railway station. The statue depicts a crashed train. A crashed train, outside a railway station??? It that does not sound weird enough, I also understand that the statue of the...
  8. norfolk brummie

The Crystal Palace & Paddington Station

Currently reading: (Isambard Kingdom) BRUNEL THE MAN WHO BUILT THE WORLD. The Building Committee for the construction of the 1851 Exhibition at the Crystal Palace, was mainly led by Robert Stephenson, and Isambard Kingdom Brunel, who, in 1850, produced their own designs. The Dome was Brunel's...
  9. norfolk brummie

Gas Holders in Birmingham

Those old gas holders, were large, smelly, dirty, very necessary, but wonderful looking installations, usually built in pairs, many with in built Victorian design and architecture as a prominent feature of the holder. Probably the most famous is the gasholder at the London, Oval cricket ground...
  10. norfolk brummie

National service day 2015

To all of you ex-National Service 'squaddies', don't forget that Sunday, June 28th is National Service Day. (1945 - 1963). We also did our bit, some of us even died. I had a friend that I joined up with, that was killed in Malaya. Some National Service men were killed in Korea, and in other...
  11. norfolk brummie

Detheridge, Dennis

Does any one know what became of Dennis Detheridge, or is he still around. In the 1950's Dennis worked for the old Evening Despatch. He became a music critic, and roving reporter, for the Despatch, covering all the music events, and news, from the 1950's onwards. Although I had left Birmingham...
  12. norfolk brummie

School Discipline

Yesterday, we had an interesting Sunday lunch. I started school in 1937, and I returned, many years later, as a peripatetic music teacher, until 2011, so my school experiences covered more than a seventy year span. I saw many changes. Our eldest daughter is a Director of Music Services, and...
  13. norfolk brummie

Sudan, 1885-1898

I have just finished reading Winston Churchill's very graphic, and detailed book (The River War, published in 1933), of the Kitchener Soudan (Sudan) campaign to recapture the Sudanese areas of the River Nile, after the fall of Khartoum, and the death of General Gordon. In this campaign, the 1st...
  14. norfolk brummie

Victoria cross

Earlier this week, I watched the presentation of the Victoria Cross to a very brave L/Cpl Joshua Mark Leakey, by a General. It was a formal and public presentation, shown on TV, but what amazed me was that the General then HUGGED the corporal. Would never have happened in my day, certainly not...
  15. norfolk brummie

A Game Of Three Halves

I have just finished read A Game Of Three Halves, by Dennis Shaw. Some of you may recall Dennis. An excellent journalist and sports writer, who worked for the old Evening Despatch, Birmingham Mail, Sports Argus and Sporting Buff. Dennis was also very involved with, and worked for, both Aston...
  16. norfolk brummie

Titles Mr; Mrs; Miss; Master

It was always so simple. Now it is so confusing. Last year we sent a birthday card to the young son of some friends. I addressed it to MASTER. Later his mother told me that she had no idea of what it meant! Our 30 year old niece lives with her male partner, and their son. Have their own house...
  17. norfolk brummie

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

I have been asked by one or two members to put on record some of the times in my life as a drummer. Now aged nearly 82, I hope a few stories will not sound too much. It has been a great life, from leaving Golden Hillock Road School, aged 15, at the end of 1948, to working in a music store...
  18. norfolk brummie

Brooke. Brandwood End Cemetary

I am aware that both my mothers parents: George Frederick Brooke & his wife: Elizabeth Anne Brooke, died within two weeks of each other, circa 1940, and are buried in Brandwood End Cemetery. Is there any one who can assist me in tracing their details? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...
  19. norfolk brummie

Lee & Wilkes, Coppersmiths, Aston

Lee & Wilkes was situated just off Newtown Row, in Aston. I believe it was located at the end of Brewery Street, but I may be slightly out there. I do recall that there was a pub on the corner of the street with Newtown Row. My great grandfather was employed there from around 1860-1905, my...
  20. norfolk brummie

National Drum Show

In three weeks time, on Saturday September 27th & Sunday September 28th, the National Drum Show will be held at Cocks Moors Woods Leisure Centre, on Alcester Road South, Kings Heath. Full details can be found on the National Drum Show web site. Its a wonderful week end for drummers young and...
Back