• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. 3

92220 Evening Star at Birmingham Snow Hill ...but when?

Just found this question. 92220 was based at Oxford for about 10 months from, I think, October 1962. I saw at at Snow Hill during that time working the car trains from Morris Cowley. I think one working was to Liverpool Docks and another was to Scotland.
  2. 3

Birmingham Fire Stations

I remember the Coventry trials with different colours. The problem with the yellow was that it tended to merge into the background under sodium lights at night.
  3. 3

NFS Training School Sutton Park

My Dad trained at Sutton Park when he joined the NFS in November 1947. I posted a picture his class on another thread. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-fire-stations.40800/post-688962 The Fire Engine in the background has the NFS logo on the side.
  4. 3

Birmingham Fire Stations

I think this one was taken at Albion Street around 1960. Hopefully I have got the names right as they were told to me by my Dad about 50 years after the event, Gary Owen was English and World Amateur Snooker Champion in 1963 and World Champion in 1966. He lost in the final of the World...
  5. 3

Symbol on Ordnance Survey Maps

Checking the OS maps online the red X is still used for level crossings on the 1:250000 scale maps.
  6. 3

Symbol on Ordnance Survey Maps

I think the red X was possibly abandoned for new maps when Series 6 One Inch was replaced by Series 7 1:50000 during the 1970s.
  7. 3

Birmingham Fire Stations

No problem, I have one more photo of him which I think was at Albion Street when Ted George was SO on his watch, probably taken at the party when Ted left to go Harborne. I have a list of names so will post when I have added them.
  8. 3

Birmingham Fire Stations

This photo was taken at the NFS Training School in Sutton Park in November 1947. My Dad is the one to the right of the officer on the front row.
  9. 3

Birmingham Fire Stations

This looks a full line-up of the Albion Street men in 1949. My Dad, Chas Steele, is on the extreme right of the middle row.
  10. 3

Birmingham Fire Stations

Just noticed this post. Does the FB page mentioned still exist and if so can you please provide a link? My Dad was in 1947-72, at Albion Street for 14 years and Harborne for 11 years. Have a couple of pictures of him so will post later.
  11. 3

Fire Brigade Information

Another one from my Dad's old pictures, this time at Albion St in 1949.
  12. 3

Fire Brigade Information

This picture was taken at the Training school around Christmas 1947. My Father, Charles Steele, is 3rd from the right on the front row. Unfortunately i don't have any other names.
  13. 3

comprehensive redevelopment Areas ,

Highgate was a large area known as such on the 1905 OS maps, so quite a lot older, probably as far back as the building of Highgate House c1790. Highgate Park was opened in 1876. New Town Row also dates from around 1790-1800, and the new housing alongside in the 19th century was known as New...
  14. 3

Fire Brigade Information

Sorting through my Father's pictures today I found this. I think it was probably taken at Albion Street around 1960/61 Click on picture to enlarge The men shown are Back row - Ron Adams, Ray Williamson, Gary Owen, Peter Rowe, Tony Whittaker, Ray Parker. Front row - Alan Malin, John...
  15. 3

Fire Brigade Information

My Father, Charles (Ted) Steele, was based at Albion Street from about the beginning of 1948 until 1961. He was born just round the corner in Camden Street where my Great Grandmother lived.
  16. 3

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

Sgt Gill and our "Uncle Ernie" were in the same unit. My Grandfather told me about it. His family all lived around the Jewellery Quarter in those days. I'm not in touch with anyone in that area now as the remaining members of the family moved out around 1961 and the other people I knew there are...
  17. 3

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

The name at the top centre was Sgt A J Gill, VC of the KRR. He was a friend of my Great Uncle and they were killed on the same day at Delville Wood on the Somme
  18. 3

Birmingham Fire Stations

My Dad was at Albion St from 1948 to 1962. He then went to Harborne where he retired in 1972
Back