• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. G

Police Service Records

Hi Natalie That is a real shame - the museum is only open 1 or 2 days a year - I managed to get hold of police records through Dave Cross - his email was [email protected] but I guess, if he has retired, this may not reach him. Is is worth writing/emailing to West Midlands...
  2. G

Aston Parish Registers

Suzanne - Sorry, a bit naive - but what does IGI stand for? I subscribe to Ancestry.co.uk and have used that to research my husband's family - lovely, I discovered long lost cousins in the US - they came over in June last year and in Feb, my son and his girlfriend went to stay with them - really...
  3. G

Aston Parish Registers

Very many thanks both!! I will obtain the marriage certificate asap - the photo does show the bride as being quite a bit younger than the spouse and, if Lily was her daughter, born in 1909, it could be that Amelia died in childbirth (?) Jo
  4. G

Aston Parish Registers

Help! I am trying to search my Great Aunt - Amelia Catherine Barnes - born 1872. I believe I may have her wedding photo - searched for weddings in Aston and found two possible matches (William Williams and John Ricketts as possible spouses - wed in 1901. How can I establish who she was married...
  5. G

Thomas Bradshaw b.1886 Aston

I have found, in my late father's photography collection - a wedding invitation for a wedding between Miss Millicent Froggart (Froggat?) to Mr William Bradshaw on Aug 31st 1899 - ceremony at the Darby Hand Chapel, Netherton. I cannot find anything on marriage censuses or anything related to them...
  6. G

Froggatt Florence 1949 Peel Street

Re: Florence Froggatt 1949 Peel Street I have found, in my late father's photography collection - a wedding invitation for a wedding between Miss Millicent Froggart (Froggat?) to Mr William Bradshaw on Aug 31st 1899 - ceremony at the Darby Hand Chapel, Netherton. I cannot find anything on...
  7. G

Lewis's Department Store

Chris - My husband and I loved your memories of Lewis's and all the staff!! Do you happen to remember my hubbie's dear departed (Miss) Phyllis Hooke? she worked in fabrics and retired in the 1970s, we think. She always treated him to a bag of sweets from the store at the weekend. Hope to hear...
  8. G

Police Service Records

Hello - I will gladly go and check for you - my great grandfather was a police sergeant (not sure, but I believe in the city centre) in 1864 - I am not sure when the museum is next open, I am awaiting a response from Dave (may be during the summer holidays as I work in school) so can do research...
  9. G

A Victorian Album

Hi - My family ran the bakery/village store just around the corner (past the Digby pub) now sadly demolished - John and Sarah Barns. ....my father was born in 1912 and the bakery was there previously, so they must have known each other - I have some lovely photos of the village school - about...
  10. G

A Victorian Album

Really interesting thread - please find my paternal grandmother Sarah Ruth Barns (nee Emery) born in Cradley and lived in Water Orton and my husband's Great Grandmother - Sarah Anne Hooke lived in Erdington (husband Edward, local Stonemason)
  11. G

A Victorian Album

Really interesting thread - please find my grandmother - Sarah Ruth Barns (nee Emery) from Cradley but moved to Water Orton.
  12. G

Help Please! Pte John Westwood -

Hi Chris - Many thanks for your very detailed response (and for taking the time to research our ancestor) I have had a response from Doncaster Museum and the gentleman there was incredibly helpful and offered to photocopy war diaries which will detail what occurred during the conflict in which...
  13. G

thanks Alan - I had forgotton I had sent an email to Doncaster Museum and a very friendly and helpful young man rang me at work to say that he would photocopy details of the conflict in which John died (war diaries?) I have also found his inscription on the Pontefract memorial which is very...
  14. G

Can anyone help please? I am researching my husband's Great Uncle John who served in the Yorks Light Infantry and was killed in 1915. Born in Pontefract 1895, I have his regimental no 22117 and a copy of his medal card, but searched for hours for his military record and cannot find this on...
  15. G

The Star cinema

Hello Phil Many thanks for your very quick response!! How did you establish who the Manager was? My (husband's) Great Uncle was John Harold Hooke (son of Hookes the Stonemasons on Gravelly Hill) and we are confused about the actual place of work - I've gone back into the records and he described...
  16. G

The Star cinema

Hello Phil Many thanks for your very quick response!! How did you establish who the Manager was? My (husband's) Great Uncle was John Harold Hooke (son of Hookes the Stonemasons on Gravelly Hill) and we are confused about the actual place of work - I've gone back into the records and he described...
  17. G

The Star cinema

HI! Do you happen to know if this cinema has been known as the Gravelly Hill Picture HOuse? My great uncle was a 'cinema photographer ' there before WW1 and he has listed this as his place of work on his medical records, when he was discharged. Many thanks in advance!
  18. G

piddock st smethwick

Re: Barnes Family Hello I am searching my family (Barns/Barnes) too - although they did not live in Edmunds St - they resided in Morville St, Aston and John (Barns/Barnes) was a retired police sgt - I had a link with Jake (Journeyman) as we seemed to share a relation, Sadly Jake has not logged...
  19. G

Hooke family

Many thanks for your response - we will have to take a trip into town and see if we can access a Kelly's directory - Happy New Year, regards Jo
  20. G

Hooke family

Hello Mike - Wow what a detailed response!!! We have lovely family photographs of the Hooke family, but no one else is researching this name - with the exception of some long lost cousins over in California who responded to my request via Ancestry.com...what a thrill when they emailed us! Edward...
Back