• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Acme Whistles

My dad used to work at Hudsons in the 70's and 80's. Glad they are still in business!
  2. C

Swimming Lessons

We walked to Grove Lane baths from Rookery Road school for our swimming lessons once a week. Unfortunately, our teachers were not swimming instructors, so didn't really have much idea. I hated the water and learnt nothing in those lessons. It seemed that I was always last to get changed before...
  3. C

The Uplands Handsworth

I worked there one summer holiday - in the "less smart" bar at the back - flippin' hard work! No fancy tills to work out the totals in them days! Had to do it all in your head!
  4. C

Hanson family of birmingham

Hi Christina, ginger, I'm an Anson with a dropped H! Just looking into this side of my family now. I currently have a problem with my Hannah Hansons - there are too many of them! My Hannah was born around 1822 and had parents Thomas and Hannah. I think this is a different line of Hansons to...
  5. C

Johnson Maisie

OK - so I can confirm that birth certificate shows dob 2nd January 1890, Arthur as the father and his occupation is coachman (not domestic). Mother is Mary Kezia Johnson formerly Baggott. So I think this is correct. Now I'm chasing grandad's side!
  6. C

Doctors

Dr deReybekill (not sure if I spelt that right) in Grove Lane was our doctor. I remember the funny green chairs in the waiting room and waiting for the buzzer to go which invited the next victim, I mean patient, to cross the hallway and enter the surgery. He was a nice old chap and came out to...
  7. C

Johnson Maisie

Well done! They did have some big families back then didn't they?!
  8. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Crikey!! However did you work that out?
  9. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Wow! You had some tricky ones!! I'll see if the birth certificate fits the bill and I'll update this thread. Thanks for your help.
  10. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Thanks very much for your help Bojalu! I eventually found the same parents as you did, so this seems to be the only solution. I also appreciate the comment made by you and Alberta that Mary could have called herself Maisie to avoid confusion with her mother. I deliberately...
  11. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson I found one of the witnesses on a 1911 census entry - doesn't help though. The other one - I can't find, so I'm assuming she married between 1911 and 1919.
  12. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson She will only appear on electoral register after she married because of her age. I think I have the right family - perhaps I should try to see what happened to the Mary Johnson who I believe called herself Maisie. If I can't find her, it adds weight to my belief, but maybe...
  13. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Yes Bojalu, that's her. I have the death cert in front of me.
  14. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Hi Bojalu, Maisie was 27 in 1919. Three years too young!!
  15. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Yes MWS. 99 Ash Road is Maisies address at time of marriage (1919). I have checked electoral rolls after marriage - only Maisie and Clifford shown. I'm sure she was registered at birth by a different name, but how to prove it?!
  16. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson 99 Ash Road is the Johnson abode, but no mention of a Maisie, only a Arthur, Mary and Albert living there. The witness names mean nothing to me at the moment. Thanks for the reply!
  17. C

Johnson Maisie

I'm trying to trace my paternal grandmother, who was named as Maisie Johnson on the marriage certificate to my grandfather, Clifford Anson. They were married in 1919 and Maisies father was an Arthur Johnson and they lived at 99 Ash Road, Saltley. Maisies profession is stated as Shop assistant...
Back