• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. R

National Service

P.S. On square bashing trade training permanent camp never saw a plane ! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. R

National Service

Loved my national service in the Royal Air Force once I got to my permanent camp which is now an open prison R A F Wartling Sussex was captain of boxing team and captain of the football team never had much time for my work as a radar op because I needed all the time for training an organising...
  3. R

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Re: Birmingham History Had a phone connected two weeks after I got married in 1959 Sutton Coldfield Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  4. R

Social Clubs and Working Men’s Clubs

Ali Bongo was brilliant a Black Country man as I recall hilarious ! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  5. R

What was your stage name Rick? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. R

Mother's Club Carlton Club Ballroom Erdington

It was better when it was Dale Fortys ! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  7. R

National Service

Suppose I was lucky never lost or had any item broke ! An as in to sports all the time an on top if my measly pay earned 3 quid a game on a Saturday playing for bexhill on sea with 3 other mates off the camp like I said hated moaners you was there so just get on with it easy to learn the skives...
  8. R

Bob Faulkner

A lovely fellow knew him years ago when I was at Boldmere St Micheals sad news rest in peace Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  9. R

Bob Faulkner

R.i.p. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  10. R

National Service

Alf they must have over paid me 28 shillings on joining in 1953 then to 35 shillings on promotion 2 great years square bashing at hednesford trade training at middle wallop then rest of the time in South Coast at radar stations and with boxing and football never had much time for radar ! Great...
  11. R

Sutton Train Crash

Remember it vividly I was waiting at six ways Erdington for my then girl friend we were going to the palace cinema an as I was waiting all police cars an ambulances were speeding with sirens screaming the word soon got to us that there had been a train crash at Sutton an now all these years...
  12. R

Monkey Run

The monkey run was mainly the high street of every district thus we in Erdington when we were lads always said see you up the monkey run ! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  13. R

I think big gee is slightly confused the Cincinnati theatre was in fact in Edmond avenue opposite Pyoe Hayes park my son had a part In Oliver a great productions Astonian yes ward end ex an Austin were bug but handsworth hurtucultural was large an even better was the home of all, the midland...
  14. R

Thank you I have re read my message but sorry cannot see any text speak on that message will you kindly point out where the text soe ak is ? Thank uou Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. R

Club in Orphanage Road, Erdington 60s

The 91 club ran by chris was so called because it was no 91 in irohanage road was practically burnt down at one time an other pkace iu nth else x50 s where you could get late drinking an I think chris did become a bham councillor at one time Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  16. R

Alex's Pie Stands

An outside snow hill station after a night on the town the fleurs de lys pies and a coffee great nights Sent from my iPad using Tapata
  17. R

Coffee Bars:

The class coffee bar in the 5o s was the Kalamazoo at the end of the western arcade opposite snow hill station and kunzle cakes were the tops Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  18. R

Was peacocks then dale forty top class furniture shop bottom floor shop top floor warehouse next door gardners milk bar which was one of the meeting Places for the youngsters then next door Burton's tailors above was the snooker hall later run by Chad Coton bookmaker had 4 betting shops in...
  19. R

Erdington History

Tell you thus terry I was brought up in the 40 s in Erdington was great as lads we called the high st the monkey run an there was so village green an our our ends talked if going up to the village Highs st now ! I played football once in east grinstesd for my squadron when I was listed at...
  20. R

Fisher & Ludlows factory

Sorry Eric my typing meant Wally Soden ! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Back